Brand New Day

Flora

"Good morning, Flora and Celeste!" The bus driver chirps.

"Good morning, Woody!" Celeste grins huge on her face and waves at her bus driver, Woody. "Hey, Woody! How are you this morning?"

"Me and my wife are healthy and living life to the fullest." Woody answers.

"That's fantastic to hear! Tell Shelly I said hi." I turn to face Celeste before crouching down to her level. "Mommy loves you so, so, so much. Have a nice day at school and don't let anyone try to break you down with words that hurts. Stand up for what's right and tell your teacher when someone is bothering you. Okay, Sweet Pea?" I hold my hand in hers while Celeste and I look at each other in the eyes.

"Okay, mommy." Celeste promises, giving me a beam and nods her head. I smile at my baby and tell her to give me a kiss on the cheek. Celeste angles her head as it draws towards my face. I expect a gentle smooch, however; I receive a puffer fish raspberry kiss on my cheek. I pretend to be shocked, I give her a huge puffer fish kiss on her cheeks until Celeste giggles uncontrollably.

"Okay, mommy! I got to go to school! I love you!" I stop attacking my baby with kisses and clench onto her in my arms before I let her walk up the steps of her school bus. I stand up and wave my hand. "I love you too, Sweet Pea! Have a nice day in school!" I see a figure waving their hand at me and immediately know it's Celeste.

"Have a great day, Flora." Woody waves at me.

"Thank you, Woody. Have  a nice day!" I smile and wave back at Woody. Woody has been a bus driver ever since he was thirty five just after quitting his job as the ice cream driver and has been a bus driver for thirty seven years. He is well known and well loved in the community as well. He donated $950,000,000 to pay for the families including Marcus Grover's, who was one of the twenty three victims who were tragically shot and killed at a 1996 Fort Lauderdale spring break. He paid for the victims' funerals and volunteered to find the suspect who committed such a devastating tragedy in the state of Florida. The suspect by the name of Kevin Swifter was caught three days later and was sentenced to life, but not for long because five weeks later, he was bludgeoned to death. People were talking about it, especially in the news. Whenever someone mention the name of Kevin Swifter, it is forbidden to say his name. You do not say that name here in Florida. On the bright side, Woody received an honorary citizen award and he is really an amazing guy.    

I keep waving at my daughter until the bus departs from the bus stop and down to the school. I turn around to enjoy the pleasant sight of the rays of sunlight light up on the driveway as well as the exterior of my house and grass around the same time a chorus of the dawn birds chirping delightfully before I proceed to enter the house, locking the door behind me as I make my way to the kitchen to get some French toast, eggs, and bacon while I listen to the news. Subsequently, I walk to the living room with the plate in my hand along with a glass of orange juice in the other and place the items on the coffee table when I grin amusingly to view the news anchors visiting the restaurant in Cocoa Beach as one of the news anchors try crab legs for the first time. The food from that restaurant is bussin'! I ordered catfish, fish and chips, and crab legs from time to time. When Celeste and I have seafood night, we steer away from shrimp because she's allergic to shrimp. I will do anything to protect my baby.    

I dig in my breakfast and continue watching the news as well as the news anchors having a blast on a nice sunny day. An hour and a half later, I saunter to my room to get my sketchbook along with some pencils from the drawer as well as the fabric swatches for the bride I met nine months ago, who wants to look like a queen on her big day. The pencil in my hand forms a detail of ivory Chantilly lace on the bodice with a sweetheart neckline as well as the off the shoulder straps while the skirt of the dress is flared in a trumpet style without the Chantilly lace. I then sketch a rose gold barrette with rhinestones on the top right corner of her head since she will wear her hair with two strand twists tied to the back while the remaining hair will be styled with some barrel curls cascading down to her mid-back. I include the work of art with a pair of silver leaf dotted long earrings. This work of art of mine is simple, minimalist, and romantic with elegant touches and I'm crossing my fingers that the bride will love it.