The E-Mail

Flora

Inserting the pin of my criss cross crystal and pearl earrings in the holes pierced of my ears, I gaze at the reflection of a woman modeling in an XXL spaghetti strapped chiffon maxi dress with a bold floral print washed in vivacious colors of blue, indigo, marigold, a bit of magenta, brick red, coral, and scarlet. My hair has been styled in loose curls and my makeup is in a minimum. Applying my mascara on my eyelashes, I mutter along the radio to the classic "Escape (The Pina Colada Song)" by Rupert Holmes that I was introduced to when I was three years old when my mom and I went to the Surfside Diner with my maternal Aunt Jillian.

I close the cap of the mascara and slip my feet into my pair of turquoise and white bedazzled wedge sandals in jewels. I pick up the remote to make sure that I've set record on Marrying Mr. Darcy that would air tonight on the Hallmark channel. I gather my phone along with the keys and walk to Celeste's bedroom door, knocking on the door. "Celeste, sweetie? Are you ready?" I ask.

The doorknob twists and the door opens to Celeste in her ivory layered skirt dress with a white sleeveless top that has embellishment in the waist area, matching a pair of ivory sandals to show her pink pedicure. "I'm ready, mommy!" Celeste grins and I smile at my little girl, who is skipping to the door. My hand grasps onto the doorknob just as the door is opening for Celeste and I to be greeted by the balmy afternoon. I unlock the car for Celeste to sit in her car seat with a seatbelt before I enter the vehicle.

Two hours and twenty seven minutes have passed and the afternoon is dawning into the evening by the time I pull up to the United Church of Christ in Fort Lauderdale. I get out of the car with two things in my hand while I help get Celeste out of her car seat. After that, I lock all of the doors of my car and lower the volume of my phone thoroughly just as we make our way to the church through the packed guests that taking their seats on the pews that are embellished with ivory roses. Celeste and I take our seats on the second row pew on the left.

"Hey, Cousin Flora!" I turn to my Cousin Brandi along with Aiyana, Tricia, and my Cousin Morgan sitting beside me.

"Hey, you guys!" I greet them with a hug and they greet Celeste with a hug and a kiss on the cheek.

"The decorations in here are beautiful! I love the arch that leads you to the aisle!" Cousin Brandi comments and I turn around in my seat to gaze at the arch full of ivory and fire roses. My eyes avert to the pastor walking straight down the aisle with a bible tucking under his arm, standing center. Once everybody that is cordially invited to the vow renewal, the soft, delicate strum of the Spanish guitar plays from nowhere as the familiar voice sings so subliminal in fluent Spanish. I realize that the woman who is singing happens to be Magdalena the same time her youngest nephew, Ether teeters with a bible prior to her preteen nephew, Dalvin is carrying not just a tray, but a silver tray of thirteen gold arras or coins. Subsequently, her precious seven year old niece, Emily sprinkles the ivory rose petals prior to "Here Comes the Bride" playing on cue for the entire congregation to stand from the pews to gaze at Mrs. Fernandez walking swiftly down the aisle arm to arm with her father lethargically. In spite of her father's ailing heath, it is such an honor for her to walk down the aisle with her dad just like every girl's desire to dream about the day they get married.

By the time Mrs. Fernandez stand beside her groom of thirty years, the officiant informs us to sit back down on the pews and starts off with the word of love and marriage. "Montego and Criselda, it is a pleasure to share today's wonderful occasion with you. Many people believe that entering into marriage is the final step in a romantic relationship. A couple meets, get to know one another and fall in love, decide they want to spend their lives together, and then take the final step—marriage. But marriage is hardly the final step in a couple's relationship; rather it is the beginning of a grand adventure! You have shared the joys, blessings and challenges of married life for thirty years. Today you want to reconfirm your commitment to working together and ensuring your marriage blossoms for years to come. May this renewing of the vows you took to become husband and wife remind you that despite the stresses inevitable in every life, your love, respect, trust and understanding of each other will continue to increase your contentment and heighten your joy in living." The pastor then recites his sermon in Spanish.