Settled in Punta Gorda

Matthew

"Jax, I really want to appreciate you letting me stay at your place until the wedding."

"Don't mention it, little bro." Jax smiles and stops at the red light. I admire the houses, convenience stores as well as the gas stations that are shadowed by the jet black sky as the moon is illuminating while the street lights are as bright as the stars.

"We were all pretty shocked to hear about you and Tabitha tying the knot. What happened to your last girlfriend that you were with?" Jax questions.

"It didn't work out." I reply. I honestly don't want to go into details about my previous relationship to my brothers because all I know is they would have my sisters beat the crap out of my ex-girlfriends after finding out their home addresses.

"Sometimes, it's not meant to be," Jax sighs marginally disappointed. I can already tell Jax is not too thrilled about my upcoming nuptials with Tabitha along with the rest of my family, but everybody deserves a second chance in their lives, don't they? I gave Tabitha a second chance and we're doing just fine with our wedding  coming up in three weeks.

"Now that you're back, becoming another Rapaport brother to tie the knot; I'm thinking maybe you, me, and the rest of the guys could go to the paintball center we all used to go all the time. You know what I'm talking about?"

A reminiscent smile tugs at the corners of my mouth as I remember my father taking my brothers and I to the paintball park in West Palm Beach mostly in the summertime. We would come home with paintball stains on our shirts and pants while we had bruises on us from our backs to our arms and to our legs. I can remember one time Luka got hit in the groin with the paintball by a rival team from Mayport and our dad had to take him to the Good Samaritan.

"When I hear paintball, all I can think of is Luka getting hit in the groin."

Jax's guffaws at the memory fills the quiet surroundings of his RAM 1500. "Ooh-hoo-hoo!" Jax mimics Luka's mewl that sounds like Goofy every time he falls. Jax and I begin cracking up about old times, especially the time when Kieran sucker punched Mason in the jaw when Mason was wearing the demon makeup from KISS member Gene Simmons to put the wind up on a then twelve year old Kieran. And the other incident with Aaron, Luka, and I putting blue food coloring in Mason's toothpaste on the day he got his school picture taken. It took a day for the food coloring to fade from his teeth and I bet the kids were talking about it, even to this day. The halcyon days during the 1990's-2000's are a pleasure to reminisce. These kind of memories I want to share discussing when Tabitha and I start our family of our own.

"Matt!" A single hard slap across my head snaps me out of my thoughts as we drive past the yellow light.

"Ow! What?" I wince as I begin rubbing the side of my head. Sheesh, that is one hell of a slap he gave me! 

"I was talking about how Flora blossomed over the past few years. She is literally the reason why I'm single." My eyes widen as those words depart from his mouth. Jax and Flora together? Nah, I don't think they're an item because when Flora and I were six and seven years old playing on the swings in her backyard, she had a Chupa Chups lollipop in her mouth and her loose curly hair was in pigtails when I mentioned her that Jax likes her. She made this silly and cute scrunched look on her face like she tried a lemon for the first time. I remember her exact words, "That's like kissing your big brother on the lips!"  

I ponder on the thought and appallingly stare at Jax for what feels like an eternity when the corners of his mouth quirks upward before guffawing so hearty that his chest hurts from laughing that hard. "Psych!"