Prologue

May 2004

"'My blessed June, you inspire me to write.

I love the way you beam, making people go to the beach, and the month to throw weddings any day.

Imagining my mind day and through the night.

Always dreaming about playing with my friends in the waves.

Let me compare the sun bloom.

You are warmer, becoming hotter and showing more sun.

The sun heats the glaring oranges of June.

And summertime is the best season for fun.

How do I love you? Let me count the ways:

I love the romance you bring between the groom and bride.

Thinking of your love, weddings, and Hallmark/Lifetime movies really fill my days.

My fond of love for you will never die.

Seasons may come and go with a pitted heart,

But remember my neat ode as a reminder that we won't ever be apart.'"

I address my sonnet that honors my favorite month of the year and some of my classmates begin snickering while some applaud, including Mrs. Bates, who is clapping her hands as if she's at an amphitheater for a play. "Flora, darling, that is such a fabulous sonnet you wrote! And you are right, weddings are spectacular with the blessings of prosperity and happiness since that is what June is known for," Ms. Bate comments with her hand cupping at the corner of her mouth, "I like watching Hallmark original movies, too." I smile and walk back to my desk. As I lower myself to sit in my desk, my friends congratulate approvingly to me about my poem.

"Flo-Jo," my classmate and friend, Magdalena whispers. Turning to face her, I respond quietly, "Yeah?"

"I'm thinking about coming over--" Before she can say more, I cut her off with an innocent excuse. "I wish you could, but Terri and Regina are taking me to the movies to see Mean Girls." Magdalena gasps around the same time, the corners of her mouth lifts on her face. "So am I!"

"AMC City Place 20 at five o'clock?!" Magdalena and I speak simultaneously, causing Mrs. Bates to yell at us to pipe down. "Carl! Please share your sonnet to the entire class." Mrs. Bates says and I peer at Carl walking from his desk to him standing beside Mrs. Bates.

"This poem is dedicated to my girlfriend, who is having lunch now." A few of the classmates, including myself snickers.

"'I love her style.

I love her class.

We have been dating for a while.

When I am beside her, my hands travel down to her--'"

"CARLTON NATHANIEL BATES," Mrs. Bates snaps, "Sit your butt back to your desk and I'll be waiting for you in the car after school!"

Most of us begin cracking up and the school bell rings, ending 7th period of sixth grade English. The door opens to numerous students taking up the hallways while they're walking to their classes as well as chatting with their best friends or their significant others.

"Flo!" I turn around to meet face to face with the Rapaport brothers; Matthew and Aaron as they both hurry to me.

"Hey, guys!" I smile and the three of us begin walking to our eighth and final class; 6th grade social studies. Our walk is going great until Tabitha and her minions that are standing beside each side of her are standing in front of us.

"I'll see you guys in the homeroom," Matthew says as he walks straight directly to her before they leave. While they were walking, the bitter ash brunette turns to face me and Aaron with an evil smirk, causing me to grimace at her.

"Forget about her, Flo. You still have me." Aaron replies and I smile. The two of us go to our homeroom.

**********

The school bell rings and eager students rush outside of the school. Listening to the song "Turn Me On" by Kevin Lyttle through my MP3 player , I jump when I feel a person tapping on my shoulder that cause me to pivot in front of Matthew. I peel the headphones from my ears as they rest behind the back of my neck. "Hey, Flo-Jo," he greets while he scratches the nape of his neck.

"Hey, Matthew," I reply with my arms crossing in front of my chest.

"About the hallway incident, I want to say I'm sorry and I didn't have the chance to ask you something." Matthew apologizes.

"That's okay. We all have plans in our lives and you have yours with Tabitha." I state. "I know and Aaron and I want to come over." Matthew says.

"I wish you guys could, but Terri, Regina, and I are going to the movies." I tell.

"Oh," he lowers his head and in the pit of my stomach begins to feel remorse for him. "Well, I'll call you when you get back and Aaron and I will come over." Matthew vows.

"Okay," I give him an agreeing smile before we enter the bus.

**********

Eagerly running to my bedroom, my hand grips onto the doorknob and the door opens, removing my backpack from my back and shoulders as well as placing it on top of my bed while I pick up my remote to turn my TV on, flipping the channel to the Lifetime channel as I begin to watch some movie that I don't know the title of that takes place at a wedding. Laying on my stomach as my forearms support my weight, I become transfixed to the visual of the peach and ivory roses adorning the arch that welcomes the guests, including both the parents and parties of the groom and bride. Then comes the part when the stylist is helping the bride with her dress while she fixes her up with jewelry that indicates luxury... the luxury to be the only bride that stands out when she walks down the aisle with her dear father by her side. A bride may either be a Daddy's girl or a Mommy's girl or the grandparents' granddaughter with such a significant glow and aura in her personality. I want to be that blushing, radiant bride with a heart of gold people can compliment on someday.