Private Lessons

Nolan wrapped up class saying, "Tonight you will have new homework. I need a written paper on what your character is feeling inside and outside of your script. What are your character's likes and dislikes, inner felling towards the plot, occupation, hobbies, routines, habits..."

Before I could go up the stairs to catch up with Germaine, Nolan stopped me as soon as Simon and Jacob were out of earshot.

"Juliette, a word. I would like to schedule a private lesson with you from 4:00... to 5:30. Today," Nolan stated simply.

The theater was emptying and I really wanted to leave for my next class. Nolan didn't even care if I was busy after school or not.

I tried to look unfazed and replied, "Sure."

I started walking away when he called out after me, "Accents!"

Oh gosh. He had remembered.

---

That afternoon I walked into the small theater and saw a scene similar to my first day of school. Nolan was sitting in the front row of seats looking through some papers. This time, though, I was unafraid to make my presence known.

"Hello," I said more boldly than I felt.

To be honest, I did not know where it had stemmed. I deduced that it must have been the theater aura that boosted my confidence.

"Come," he said motioning towards the stage.

Along the way he gave me a packet titled Accents: All About Them. It looked like he had typed it himself.

"What does the first line say, Gertrude?"

"It says...'Original Pronunciation, the way Shakespearean performers talked, is very hard to acquire,'" I started.

"Okay, so as you know we will not be asking you to learn that right here and now. We are going to be utilizing British accents. Simon and Jacob do it very well. We're going to make you, Gertrude, have a better one," he claimed confidently.

I felt immensely under pressure. There were a lot of acting expectations placed on me by Nolan; the same amount as Miss Davis, my writing teacher, was placing upon me for writing. I believed, however, that this was their way of improving my skills. Nolan's confidence was contagious. Yet, why did he care so much how well I would do? Didn't he hate me for being a freshman as he had insinuated thus far? 

I continued, "Step number one: If the word end in an 'r', don't pronounce it."

Nolan interjected before I could go any further, "Say mirror first in your American accent and then a proper British one."

"Mee-rer...Mee-ruh..."

"See, you've got it. You were just not trying before. Next?"

"Pronounce the 'u's' with an 'ew' sound..."

"Say the word stupid both ways."

"Stoo-pid...stew-pid.."

"No!" he exclaimed and then hopped on stage next to me taking the paper from my hand.

"Eww sound! Styew-pid! Ok, you'll work on that one. Look there's a list of words. Ok, next. Let's go. I don't get paid for any of this."

"I'm sorry. I'm here only because you suggested that I take a private lesson. I had homework anyways," I say finally fed up with his attitude. 

"Hey, hey. Stay where you are. We're working here. Step three please."

I confirmed that Nolan was an extremely indecisive person. Usually adamant about his orders, he could not decide whether he was bored doing something or not. He obviously debated in his mind why he was giving private lessons to a freshman while he could be on a date with...I don't know...Edith. They seem to both have cold personalities.