Dinner Guests

"Adel is crying. This time I don't know what to do. I'm sick! I'm tired!" Nolan said in a distant voice.

The instability of his voice over the phone sparked my suspicion. What was going on? I feared the worse. 

I inquired further, "Okay you're going to need to calm down, stop punching the furniture, and explain to me what the problem is. Why is she crying? Nolan, tell me and I'll help you."

"She... my parents... They're not really into festivities. Rather than decorating the house for her like she se's in the neighborhood or even getting a simple tree... Darn it! She's in the room crying and I'm out here and ten ornaments on a tree isn't going to solve this problem," his voice cracked, "My dad's going away on a sudden business trip to the Caribbean and my mom thought she'd join him. Tagging along is out of the question since we'd bother him and make him look unprofessional. I feel helpless. I'm about to be an adult and I feel helpless."

"Nolan. Listen to me. I'm sorry about the way you have to feel and what's going on with your parents. I really am. However, Adel is at a tender stage right now and we need to address the problem at hand. Her parents are neglecting her. She needs familiar love. You have no relatives, cousins, aunts, uncles, grandparents...?"

"Juliette, no, we don't. If we did they stopped talking to our parents or we stopped talking to them. That's why I called. There's absolutely nothing I could think of to solve this problem." 

"Give the phone to Adel."

"What?"

"You heard me."

"Okay."

What seemed to be the sound of footsteps climbing the stairs became the creaking open of a door. Off track I risked at the state of the Beverly Hill's hinges. 

"Hello," the croaking voice of a preteen could be heard from the other line.

The emotional stress she had been though was audible. It was up to me to have that confident and mature character shine back through.

"Adel, it's me. Juliette-"

"I know who you are. You're practically the sister I never had and I've never even talked to you before. With Nolan blabbing and blabbing-"

In the background I could here Nolan reprimanding Adel lightly which made me smile.

"I'm glad. You're like the little sister I never had. Nolan talks about you to me all the time."

"Good. At least you get your end of the bargain with how much he talks to me about you."

We laughed and immediately the tone of our conversation was a little more alleviated of its tension.

"So, Adel, do you want to talk about what's going on to me. Sister to sister?"

What she did next shattered my heart like a glass vase falling from a counter top. Adel was sobbing over the phone. Muffling noises came which led me to believe Nolan was hugging her. I had to solve this problem and quick.

"Adel listen to me. Your parents have gone right?"

"Yes. And it's Christmas Eve. They left me right at the time when they're supposed to be cuddling with me and drinking hot chocolate and putting the gifts under the tree because they think I still believe in Santa..."

"Hey! Santa exists!" I said as the three of us erupted with laughter.

And then I stopped abruptly. I had a brilliant idea.

"Adel! Nolan! What time is it?"

"Four thirty. Why?"

"Get in your car and drive over here. It should take you about one and a half hours with traffic."

"Oh no I can't just impose on you and your family like that!"

"Please, Nolan! Puh-leezzz!" Adel pleaded.

"You won't be imposing if I ask my parents," I said as I ran down the stairs at a dangerous speed, "Mom! Dad! Can Nolan and Adel come over for Christmas Eve dinner?"

After a brief explanation of the circumstances my mother smiled and said, "Honey do you see the amount of food I've prepared. It was meant to be. Of course."

My father grunted from the couch he was sitting and reading a newspaper from. He seemed displeased. 

"Did you hear that?" my smile spread from one ear to the other.

"Yes I did! Are you sure not of your parents are okay with it? It's pretty last minute."

"Yes!" my mother and Adel simultaneously scolded Nolan lightheartedly.

"And both of you, wear something festive," I advised.

"I already am," Adel said smartly and gave the phone to Nolan.

I went up the stairs and back in my room.

"Thank you so much, Juliette. You don;t understand how much this means to me. And Adel... you gave her the world today. She hasn't looked this happy in... in a long time."

"It's my pleasure to help her and you, Nolan. You haven't seen happy yet because you guys aren't even here. This is what... This is what girlfriends are for," I said blushing over the phone.

"Juliette, I..."

Adel cut him off making me silently smack my forehead, "Nolan! Hurrrry!"

---

Ding-dong!

"I'll get it!" I yelled out to my parents as I checked myself in the mirror by the door.

"You're half an hour late!" I mock scolded my dinner guests.

My heart's palpitations increased as I saw Nolan handsomely clad in a burgundy, velvet blazer. Around his elbow in height stood a girl adjacent to him. She also had the same dark wavy hair but hers went down to her waist. Her eyes were like pieces of dark chocolate. Adel was evidently a beauty from the young age of eleven.

Already thoroughly aquatinted, although by phone only, she rushed to hug me tightly. I returned the embrace and did not need to point out the tree by the fireplace before she could start running towards it in ecstasy. Nolan hugged me tightly. His gracious eyes said a thousand words.

"Juliette! There's a little something something under the tree with my name on it!" Adel screamed on the top of her lungs. 

"It's a secret!"

"Juliette, why did you have to bother with a gift for Adel. It's such short notice," Nolan asked.

"You already gave me a gift by letting me spend Christmas with your family," Adel said. 

"It's just a little something that's sentimental. I hope you'll like it. Also, what's that bag I see in your hands? You already gave me your present before the semester ended. Smell it?"

After taking a sniff Nolan nodded, "This is a little gift from Adel to you. It was all her idea. She thought you deserved it after what you did for her. I'll put it under the tree."

Shortly thereafter, my parents came from the kitchen to greet the two. I was anxious to discover their reaction.

A/N: I hope you liked this chapter. Please vote and comment if you enjoyed reading :)