Parts

My index finger trailed down the list posted with a red thumb tack on the cobalt blue bulletin board. I was alone in the lobby by the cubicles, early as always, to see the results of the casting in solitude. My heart was beating so fast that I could feel it in my finger as my eyes skimmed the eight-and-a-half by eleven piece of paper that would determine the rest of my time in the Academy. If I landed a promising role in the guest directed play, I would land a substantial role in the end of the year production which would place me in a very good position for the rest of my career in the Academy.

I scanned the paper headed My Fair Lady to no avail. As I had concluded, I had not scored even an ensemble role. My attention then averted to the paper headed The Enchanted. My heart beat at an accelerated pace as it could make or break my future. I could not have even gotten a role. After all, I was still a first year.

I shut my eyes, took a deep breath, and read the cast list one by one.

THE MAYOR: Nolan- Senior

THE DOCTOR: Isaac- Senior

ISABEL: Edith- Senior

GILBERTE: Tessa- Senior

DAISY: Juliette- Freshman

LUCY: Hannah- Junior

VIOLA: Emily- Freshman

DENISE: Sarah- Sophomore

IRENE: Madison- Sophomore

MARIE-LOUISE: Brianna- Sophomore

Oh. My. Goodness. I had placed high up in the cast list, above a few upperclassmen, and was one of only two freshmen to do so. I was elated, ecstatic, and awestruck all at once and could not contain myself. Even though it was only seven in the morning, I let out a series of shrieks.

"Ahh! Ohmygosh! Ohmygosh!"

"Whose fangirling out there?" a voice sounded from the direction of the cubicles.

Startled I came to the unsettling realization of who the voice belonged to. Where wasn't Nolan? When wasn't he popping out of nowhere and being at the right place at the right time? He was really starting to freak me out.

"You're here?"

"Am I supposed to ask permission from you, Juliette, to be in my own cubicle?" he laughed when he saw that I took his question seriously, "Well, duh I'm going to be here. I'm not about to sleep if I have a past list being emailed to me by a Lara York in the middle of the night. I like being the first to see it and love seeing the reactions of others. I've done this for four years straight."

"Darn it. I thought I was the first one! Nevermind, I forgot you were also punctual. Oh, congratulations on your lead role. You must be very happy and proud."

"I deserved to be here. I'm not going to jump up and down for no reason, no offense to you for just doing that. I'm very glad you got fifth lead. Do you realize how amazing that is for a freshman?"

I laughed nervously, "Well now that you say it's pretty amazing I think it is becoming more real. I can't believe it... Why would they give this role to me when there are so many talented people in higher classes."

Nolan sat down to explain, "Then it means you must be pretty amazing. You see when a play is guest directed they don't see the age or year of class you're in. They see the sheer talent. And I've told you before, Juliette...you're actually talented. And, mind you, I wouldn't think of saying it unless I actually believed it."

Nolan said as a familiar face walked in smiling, "Additionally, hello there Tessa, there's a serious difference in talent between the classes these years. The sophomore and junior year didn't turn out to be so extraordinary or dedicated, generally speaking. However, I see that your year is very outgoing in trying to get to better places. Did you see that musical cast with all the freshman?"

"Umm. Just did a quick scan...oh dear! I forgot to look for Germaine," I looked at the list again, relived to have spotted my best friends name, "Yes! She's in the ensemble along with quite a few others from the freshman class. You're right we do tend to try out for things even though we might not get in. I didn't see many juniors waiting to try out. And they're supposed to be directors next year..."

"Anyways, Juliette, people are starting to come in and you don't want to be trampled by the stampede of curious actors and actresses."

"You're right. I'll go get an early breakfast. See you at class," I said as I turned away with a light, worry-free heart as a person who had just secured a very nice role.

The talent rift between the classes had come to my advantage. Instead of going to eat, however, headed straight to the office.

I opened the glass door to the smell of coffee wafting through the air. I assumed that the sleepy staff needed their caffeine boost in the morning to look somewhat presentable as walking zombies. I gave them credit for even coming to work at this time of day ready to assist hormonal teenagers.

"Excuse me," I said in a soft tone to the secretary at the front desk, "Could I speak to someone about my schedule?"

"That would be your counselor, sweetie. The second to last door on the left side of the hallway," she replied.

"Thank you very much..." I looked at her name tag, "Miss Miller."

I knocked on the door to the counselor by the name of April Moore tentatively only to here a sweet voice beckon me inside. She was a young woman who automatically gave me a sense of ease as to what I was about to do.

"The early bird eats the worm. What can I do for you, young lady?" she asked.

"Hello, my name is Juliette and I'm looking to make quite a drastic change in my schedule actually. You see I am taking two arts here and I have decided to drop one of them. You see I'm in both theater arts and creative writing and it's too much at once. I've been very successful in theater but exceedingly unsuccessful in creative writing to the point where I'm sure it's going to be lowering my GPA if I don't do anything about."

She answered, "Well, you're definitely not the only one who's come to me with this predicament before. We also wouldn't want for you to lower you grade point average. But are you sure you're willing to give up both of these classes if they're both of your talents?"

"Oh, I won't be giving up my writing. I just want to focus on what I believe is my priority right now and what I'm excelling in."

"Well, I'm glad you've made your own decision. I'll draw up a form for you to sign and you can just miss class today," she said.

"Thank you for your help, Ms. Moore," I said as I got up and left the room.

That's when I realized that to make a tough decision all you needed was time. Everyone is indecisive but time gives you enough opportunities for you to find the reason to make a specific decision.

Author's Note: Look at Juliette making her own decisions... Woot woot! Confidence boosting! Please vote and comment if you like this chapter.