Dynamics

1 month later

Upon my return was the immediate plunge back into our rehearsals, now more rigorous. This was apparently to be expected. Quickly our rehearsals became more frequent, more urgent, and more intense.

The production dates approached rapidly. For two weeks straight we would focus on The Enchanted solely. Somedays, we would become the characters throughout the day because we were so attached to them, or rather were forced onto them. Our schedules became classes to rehearsals, rehearsals to mealtimes, homework, sleep. There was no time for any extraneous activities.

The inexplicable backstage dynamic amazes me every time. The commotion of the possession of your props, the correct wearing of costumes, the last minute run-throughs of lines all were the regular scene. Cookies and chips were displayed for the quick ingestion of actors in need of energy. Water bottles lined the vanity stations along with various sizes of curling irons and bottles of hairspray in different heights, colors, and holding strengths.

Then the time came for opening night. Although I told my mother not to attend the show on opening night, because that's when all the mistakes happen, I could see her in the front row with a bouquet of flowers. I knew my father could not attend because it was a weekday but I knew for sure that he would come closing night, a Sunday.

The Enchanted was a fun play to create endless inside jokes about. A French comedy, the cast constantly mocked each other's lines and roles. While waiting for cues we became closer and closer friends. Well, all of us besides Edith who preferred to sulk in the corner as Isaac chatted and chatted with her. Over hearing there conversation I could hear him talking on and on about lighting and sound on stage. I was afraid Edith's eyes would hurt too much to act after all the rolling that was going on. Poor Isaac was oblivious to the lack of attention he was getting.

When it was my time to go up on stage, I was empowered by the feeling of butterflies in my stomach. The nervous jitters made me focus more on my lines and character than distractions around me. When my character shoes stepped upon the black painted stage and only I could hear their little heels tapping against the hollow floor my insides smiled. I absorbed the energy from all the previous sets and actors and shows that were played upon it.

"'The flower is one of the most beautiful aspects of nature--'" I recited my opening line.

At the end of the show, I along with the rest of my class felt extremely accomplished. Together we had rehearsed for many months and in the end we had impeccably performed it through. It was a definite achievement and our director was immensely pleased along with all our parents, especially my mother. She gave both Nolan and I a tight hug and each of us a bouquet of flowers respectively. Nolan's parents had chosen not to attend tonight. i presumed this was the case for all the other show dates as well.

"Thank you for coming to watch us," Nolan said to her.

My mother winked, "It's a pity Adel won't be able to see. I wonder if Juliette's father should bring her along when he comes."

"That won't be necessary. I believe this play is a bit too mature for a little girl like her," Nolan pointed out.

"You're right," I laughed out loud.

With a final hug, my mother said goodbye and I was off to the changing rooms. The show had drained me and Germaine hadn't even come to watch the show. She was at her own rehearsals for the musical going up the week right after our closing night. Upon looking at my phone, I saw a text from her.

Germaine: Break a leg, love ;)

Surprisingly, I also got a text from Maddison, the girl from the New Years Gala.

Maddison: Kyle and I saw your post and wish you the best of luck for your performance!

The sentiment was appreciated but little do non-theatrical people know that the phrase "good luck" was as bad as saying "Macbeth." Nonetheless, I replied kindly.

Me: Thank you! Hope you can come see it one of the days.

She immediately replied, at the ready.

Maddison: Don't think I can catch I ride. You're probably great though :)

Well, okay then. There was no pressure.

As soon as I was done putting on normal clothing, unraveling my hair, and taking off my makeup I left the auditorium. It was then I came across a pleasant sight. Nolan had purchased flowers of his own for me along with two red velvet cupcakes to share. Symbolic.

"Nolan! Stop being so perfectly you."

"Stop?"

"Okay, I'll say it in my new and improved British accent. You're a first-rate boyfriend!"

"You flatter me," he replied in an impeccable accent of his own, obviously much better than mine.

He then leaned in for a kiss, gently placing a strand of hair behind my ear. The smell of hairspray seemed to be permanently lingering in our noses so much so that we were unbothered by it.

You would think one would be accustomed to a kiss once you've done it more than a few times but adrenaline pulsed though my veins nonetheless. I opened my eyes, meeting Nolan's, a serene lake of blue water. I hoped that I'd never lose sight of such a pair. I kissed him back goodnight.

A/N: Foreshadowing! Please vote and comment if you liked this chapter. Three more to go :(

One of the things I've tried to do to enhance Nolan's dynamic characterization is to change how Juliette sees them each time. They start as confronting and an "icy blue" to now "meet"ing and like "a serene lake." I hope you could notice that and if not... now you know ;)