Laughs & Read-Throughs

Even a week after my creative writing class was eliminated, I noticed that my life at the Academy had become ten times easier and smoother. My homework was much lighter, there was much less stress in my life, and I could pay more attention and give more time to my other academic classes.

Additionally, I could spend more time with my friends and family, being that I was less trampled by writing assignments which were stealing my time away from me. I could hang out which Germaine more often after classes and I could call and text my parents more.

It was a Monday and, after school, we had a read-through of our new script. The Enchanted's rehearsals were starting and I was anticipating a wonderful upcoming production season. Rehearsals started from the middle of October and went until the first week of March, taking a break for the Holidays. I could presume that the cast was going to bond a lot. I had heard rumors that those who could drive in the cast took the rest of us to outings. I was excited to make friends with similar a similar hobby, although I had never liked making friends before. The Academy was encouraging me to come out of my shell and venture out in the world socially. So was Germaine.

"Ok so when I go to my first read through I'm going to go with a new friend I met from the musical's cast. And you, my dear Juliette, are going to find yourself a friend," said Germaine.

"Yeah, yeah, sure. I'll do that," I said sarcastically.

And so I walked in the direction of the large auditorium, all by my lonesome, perfectly content. That is until somebody tapped my shoulder. 

I turned around startled and, realizing who it was, exclaimed, "Nolan! What are you doing?"

Having a reply for everything he said, "Well, seeing that you were walking all by yourself I decided to join you on your way to our rehearsal."

The sensation of his hand of my arm hadn't left me as I started walking again toward the auditorium. Both of us were obviously not late but I still preferred to rush.

"What's your hurry? We are fifteen minutes early," he pointed out.

"My motivation is promptness," I told him.

"As is mine," he said as he opened the door for me and then leading the way.

The large auditorium was massive. All of the performing arts performed in the very place and, being that it was a school for the arts, it had to be wonderful. 

Wonderfull was an understatement.

Black velvet curtains and silky screens that were to be drawn by the thick ropes on stage left and right framed the stage. The stage, upon which many excelled in fame, was coated with many layers of black paint over the years that had chipped. The whole sight made my heart race as I ran through the seat's aisles. Nolan laughed out a hearty laugh.

"Wow, it's rare that you laugh. I only see you smile sarcastically," I said.

"Well I only laugh with my sister and y..."

A group walked in loudly not allowing for him to complete his sentence. Following them were Isaac and Edith who immediately saw Nolan and flagged him over. Tessa walked in and came over to me with a smile.

"Are you ready for your first big show?" she asked with a wink.

---

The director was, of course, fashionably late. She handed out our scripts and set a very comfortable scene. We each sat in a seat in the front row and read our lines as they came.

The play was actually quite funny. As a few comical scenes came our way, the group, including the director, had to stop and laugh.

After we completed our read through, we gave Lara York our availabilities and information. We'd most likely meet every day that we could. Some of us had to be the crew we'd need to get the characters and elaborate set read.

All in all, I was elated.

Author's Note: The hashtag for the ship that is slowly sailing its way to success is called #Jolan ladies and gentlemen. Use it in your comments and make my day. Generally, if you like a chapter please vote and comment. It means the world to me when I get feedback and I really take it all to heart. If I have any silent readers please don't be...well...silent. So please let me know if you like Theater Cubicles and tell your friends to read it.