Setbacks

Tech week. The most exciting time of an actor or actress's life. The most stressful and annoying time, as well. The week of production is full of commotion, quick-changes, hair, makeup, and best of all: long, arduous hours of bonding. During this time cast members do not see each other for the two hours of class they have together. They spend every hour after school preparing for showtime. And I love it to the bottom of my soul.

 It was Monday night, the first night of the show, and Germaine and I were still on a no-speaking basis. She entered in and out of the door room, when I occupied it, with no expression to me. She paid no mind to me and, at night, she slept on her loft bed with no conversation with me. I don't believe she knew why she was so mad at me. Germaine was holding a grudge and was very stubborn in holding it. I, however, did not like confrontation. This whole thing with us irked me. However, I was not going to be the one that took any steps into mending our relationship. I had nothing to be sorry about.

Our show was at seven o'clock. The directors told the cast that call time was at 3:30. Since the show was ending at nine, I didn't know when we were supposed to do our homework or eat dinner. I'm sure they had a plan though. The department has been having productions for eighty years.

Upon entering we were ushered by our directors to the back stage. The production was in the small theater. The teachers did not want to make a really big deal out of our show, apparently. The big auditorium stage wasn't ours. Surprisingly, we had never been to the backstage. I loved it already. It consisted of two rows of mirrors with lights on them and high chairs. However, contrary to popular belief, it wasn't stocked with hair and makeup products. I did not have any stage makeup. I was suddenly panicking. I frantically searched around to see if others had any. They seem to have their character shoes and makeup bags in hand. I was having a mini heart attack.

Then I saw Germaine. She was the most prepared out of all of the cast. She had tubs of white makeup for her face as the Ghost. People around me also had their own small set of stage makeup. However, I had come with only black eyeliner, mascara, and dark red lipstick. I wasn't good with makeup. I never had been. I couldn't go on stage with no definition on my face either. Knowing that, why had I not prepared? I couldn't ask my mother to drive for two hours to come here either. I had to muster up the courage Germaine herself taught and ask to use some of her makeup.

"Umm. Hey Germaine. I know were not on good terms but...Could I borrow some of your makeup and hairspray?" I asked tentatively.

"No. Sorry. I kind of have to use it myself throughout the week. Plus if I give it to you everyone's going to ask for it. Apparently I'm the only one that prepares."

"I'm not just someone. I'm your roommate and friend Germaine. For me, you're my best friend."

She continued ignoring my reason, "You know I question why they would give such a role to an unprepared and inexperienced person when there are people here that are so much more qualified."

I shook my head in awe, "You did not just go there."

I left the scene before it could affect me anymore. I had been in many plays with summer programs. There was a reason I was accepted into this Academy.

Nolan was nowhere to be found so I just applied my regular makeup, did my hair, wore my costume, and waited to see if Tessa, Kasi, or Edith would show. Then, Kasi entered in tears. Right beside her were Edith and Nolan, apparently comforting her. I wondered what had happened...

"I can't believe it! I can't believe he just left!" Kasi sobbed.

The loud talk in the room slowly died down to a curious murmur.

"Ok, will you explain to me everything slowly. Calm down, Kasi," Edith told her.

"Mackenzie. He just...left. He said he got casted. He said he was fed up. He said he couldn't deal with the show anymore...He just left!" she sniffled back into her previous hysterics.

Mackenzie left opening night. I couldn't believe it. He was one of the director, he couldn't just up and leave when he wanted. He had told Nolan he was going to leave after Hamlet. It was very odd that he broke it off with Kasi too. Yet, the show had to go on.

I spotted Tessa walking around with a box of products. I called after her, "Tessa, you're my savior! I need stage makeup..."

---

The place was in a frenzy. We had just come back into the backstage room after our thirty minute voice exercises outside. They energized the whole cast as was their job. \

Isaac yelled out, "Twenty to places!"

The cast and rest of the directors replied, "Thank you twenty to places!"   

I was getting really excited as the minutes ticked by. This was my second time in an Academy production. It was my first show with this cast too, one that I would be in shows with for the next four years. The directors and cast felt the absence of Mackenzie, surprisingly making a big difference. The three characters he was in charge of were as equally traumatized about the situation as Kasi.

Time flew quickly. The parents, including mine, and some students were filing into the small theater seats. Good butterflies fluttered in my stomach.

"Places," Nolan whispered loudly and gave an encouraging pat to Simon a.k.a. Hamlet's back.

He put is hands on both Jacob and my shoulder and said, "You guys are all ready. Be confident. Know that your awesome. Let the lines just come to you. "

And with that boost of confidence, we were ready.

---

It was the second scene of Act 1; my entrance on the stage. I went on, nonchalantly adjusting myself to the lights shining on me. I sat on my chair and waited for my cue.

And then there it was, "Not so, my lord. I am too much i' th' sun."

I delivered, "Good Hamlet, cast thy nighted color off,

And let thine eye look like a friend on Denmark.

Do not for ever with thy vailed lids

Seek for thy noble father in the dust.

Thou know'st 'tis common. All that lives must die,

Passing through nature to eternity."

And so it went. My career as an actress in the Academy began. Then the worst happened.

Jacob started stuttering during his monologue. He obviously forgot his lines in the middle of his thirty line monologue. It was to be expected, however, from a mere fourteen year old. We weren't memorizing machines. It was time to swim.   

In theater swimming meant carrying on until the problem was fixed on stage, be it the line remembered, conversation made in character until the necessary entrance was made, or broken prop cleared off. Swimming was pretty hard to do in Shakespeare since everything had an unbreakable rhythm. However, when swimming, it is not good to be the hero. Being heroic meant taking risks. That's not something you do opening night.  

I decided to just say the line I had after the monologue, "Let not thy mother lose her prayers, Hamlet.

I pray thee stay with us, go not to Wittenberg."

And so we swam.

We had come across so many setbacks on opening night.

Author's Note: Let me know what you thought about this taste of a theatrical production and don't forget to vote!