𝖋𝖔𝖚𝖗

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

laena velaryon's funeral was swift.

deianyra held her father's hand tightly and he, in turn, gripped it just as tight. the younger brother of corlys velaryon spoke for the deceased and the velaryon's home: the sea. the little girl knows of her father's anguish upon hearing of the news as he quickly urged their entire family to sail back home to driftmark to attend the funeral of his sister, their aunt.

nyra never knew her aunt but she knows of her cousins, the twins, and of her great-uncle, prince daemon. she knows of the whispers about him in Court when they mention anything about the rogue prince who's nomad lifestyle has forced his girls to venture anywhere with no real place to call home.

but it didn't mean she didn't mourn. 

laenor used to tell her about their great adventures and his love for his sister was like the love she shared with her younger brothers. consequences be damned, if something happened to the boys, nyra won't show mercy.

it truly was laughable at the threats of a coward.

dragons soared the sky and deianyra stayed close to her mother, only parting ways when she had more important matters to settle. so, nyra went to the company of her aunt.

helaena busied herself with a spider and deianyra was never fond of insects but she could tolerate them if it made her aunt happy.

"deianyra" greeted helaena, not even looking up, and the girl smiled as she crouched.

"hello, aunt" deianyra looked around to see if anyone was watching helaena but to no surprise, they regarded her as something that didn't exist.

"one with the sea, dragon returned to rider, fire dancing on ashes" helaena began to mutter and deianyra worriedly reached a hand to her arm.

"what do you mean, aunt?" nyra asks but her aunt kept repeating the words. "helaena, what is it?"

then she stopped. the older girl looks up from the spider and smiles gently at her.

"hello nyra" 

nyra doesn't know what to do with the words she spoke but she knows not to ask because with what her mother has warned before they came here, ears are everywhere.

"how are you feeling? my mother informed me of your betrothal to aegon" 

helaena shook her head with a small laugh.

"my words are simply nothing but a waste of breath. it's what is expected of me, dear niece. the court has changed since you've been gone" 

nyra grasps her hands.

"i'm sorry, helaena. truly"

but the expression on helaena targaryen's face truly was what hurt her the most.