Chapter 8

When she got home that afternoon, Becky was again disappointed to discover that Kelley hadn't yet returned. He'd missed life drawing class too. She so wanted to talk to him. He'd left so abruptly that morning. What if in his distraught state, he'd gotten in a car accident?

Dorian had said his goodbyes before leaving for the weekend to visit his sister for Thanksgiving, leaving Becky alone with only Crispin for company. If Kelley didn't return soon, it would mean for a very long weekend indeed.

At least, she could keep herself busy with her paintings. Unfortunately, she realized that she'd forgotten her paint box in her locker at the university. Oh, what to do?

"Hi," Becky said later that evening, standing in the doorway of the front room, disturbing Crispin from his latest horror flick.

"Hey, you." Raising an eyebrow, he sat up in the armchair. "Looks like it's just the two us."

"Have you heard from Kelley?" she said, looking unsure of herself.

At her question, Crispin's familiar scowl reappeared. Kelley... always Kelley! Could she not, at least, pretend to tolerate him?

"No, why? What does it matter?" he spat dismissively. "He'll return when he's good and ready. Now, sit if you like or leave me be."

"Um... actually, I forgot my paint box in my locker," she started to say.

"So?" he scoffed.

"Well, I was hoping to ask Kelley to drive me there to get it," she explained.

"Uh huh... Well, I suppose you're out of luck then, aren't you?" He snickered. Of course, it hadn't occurred to her to ask him to take her. Was his VW Beetle not up to her standards?

Wonderful, Becky thought to herself. What else had she been expecting from Crispin, sympathy? Discouraged, she turned and walked away. It was their stupid rule anyway. Not hers! Who were they to tell her when or where she could go? So what if it was dark? She was a grown woman, she thought as she defiantly put on her coat. She needed her paints, and she was damn well going to get them. It wasn't her fault that Crispin was being an ass or that Kelley had taken off, leaving her with no other option.

Approaching the front door, satchel in hand, Becky was about to let herself out, when an unexpected shout from behind, startled her.

"Hey! Just where do you think you're going?" Crispin barked, stepping up quick, insinuating himself between Becky and the front door.

"To get my paints," she said with a determined frown.

Crispin couldn't help but laugh at her defiant stance. As if he'd simply let her run off into the night! Did she not realize how dangerous it was for young women around campus? Why, just the other day there was a news report about a series of sexual assaults in the area. Was she that naive?

"You're not going anywhere, young miss. Now off with your coat," he said in his most authoritative voice.

"I don't have to listen to you. Now get out of my way!" she demanded, unsuccessfully trying to deke around him.

"Absolutely not!" He blocked her at every turn.

"Crispin!" she shouted in frustration, trying her hardest to shove the impenetrable man out of the way.

"Becky!" he mocked, effortlessly putting her in a headlock.

"Stop this!" she protested weakly, frowning at how easily he dominated her.

"Not until you agree to give up and stay put little girl," he snarled, barely able to contain his laughter at the ridiculousness of the situation. If anyone were to see them now, he'd never live it down, but he would wrestle all night with her if it meant keeping her from wandering out into the night. The harder she fought, the more he smiled at her pathetic attempts to wiggle free. She obviously didn't know who she was dealing with!