Chapter 24

Chapter 24 - Halloween Party!

"Halloween party? But that was weeks ago. Besides, isn't it Halloween every day at our house?"

"Haha, laugh it up," Dorian said, leading Becky up and down the Party Packagers Warehouse. They had stopped there on the way home from class. When he'd picked her up that afternoon, he had very excitedly told her of the upcoming event.

Dorian shrugged. "I know it's a bit late since it's already the middle of November. With all the drama around the house, we weren't quite sure about doing it this year at all. But it's kind of a tradition at the House of Goths, and besides, we could all do with a bit of cheering up."

"That's true. I suppose most of that drama is my fault. I'm sorry, Dorian."

"Becky, come on. None of it was your fault. Things happen, that's all. Just be sure to get yourself a proper costume. We take this event very seriously."

"I'll bet you do." She giggled as he bent down to grab a roll of spider web banners from the shelf. Had it truly only been a little over a month since she'd moved into the House of Goths? So much had happened in such a short time. Some good, some bad. Yet she wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

Spotting a couple of girls from her dorm heading down the aisle, Becky turned to greet them. The two girls didn't even acknowledge her tentative smile. They simply walked past her and Dorian like they didn't exist. Off they went, giggling and pointing at different items on display, probably planning a party of their own.

"You know them, Becky?" Dorian asked, having noticed her following the girls with her eyes.

She nodded solemnly. "From the dorm."

"Never mind, eh. You're better off with us now, aren't you?" he said, happily draping his arm around her.

Becky beamed at his affirmation. "So much better off!" She was indeed most grateful that she no longer resided at that miserable soul destroying place.

***

"Spooky," Becky exclaimed in a husky whisper, seeing the guys all dressed in their various vampire costumes. Crispin was, of course, a Victorian inspired vamp, complete with cape and fangs. Kelley looked incredibly sexy in his Civil War militia version of the undead, and not to be ignored, Dorian looked like a post-apocalyptic vampire, goggles, gas mask and all.

"What are you supposed to be?" Crispin asked, clutching dramatically at his chest.

"Can't you tell?" Kelley said, stepping forward, catching her under the arms, lifting her and exuberantly spinning her around. "She's a fairy princess."

"Kelley..." she sputtered, blushing at his unexpected gesture. He'd been hovering around her the last few days. She could tell that he wanted to say something to her ever since the unfortunate event the other night at the pub. She could have put him out of his misery with a reassuring word but instead, she'd let him wallow in worry. She kind of liked having the upper hand for a change.

"Yes, love?" he groaned, holding her against him, her stockinged feet dangling in the air. God, he'd missed that. The way she said his name. How long had it been? Too long as far as he was concerned. The little imp sure knew how to hold a grudge.

"Put me down," she said with a hearty chuckle, her hands on either side of his made up face. Costume bruises and scars decorated his otherwise handsome features. Dark circles smudged under his ebony eyes, white powder on his cheeks, making him look impossibly paler than usual.

"I don't know if want to just yet," he said, giving her a squeeze, taking the opportunity to hold her in his arms again.

"Fairy princess, indeed," Crispin said with a disapproving shake of his head, hands on hips. "This is a Halloween party, not a birthday party for adolescent girls."

"Prickly..." She smirked at him, waving her magic wand in his direction. "Watch it or I'll turn you into a grumpy old toad."

"You'd better step off, Crisp. I believe she means business," Kell said, setting her down on her feet.

"Dress her up all you want, but she'll always be a silly little dormouse," Crispin retorted with a rueful smile.

Dorian couldn't help but laugh before turning around to answer the knock on the garage door. The first of their guests had just arrived.

***

To be continued...

House of Goths Copyright © 2014 by Maria Bernard ISBN: 978-0-9938067-3-5