Chapter 8 - Vale

"Talking"

'Thinking'

'E.G.O'

<< Message >>

<< LOUD VOICE FROM SPEAKERS/MEGAPHONES >>

-------------------------------------------------------------------

He'd just wanted a drink, really.

"What do you mean, I need an ID?" Hunter asked, 

"I mean, you need an ID. Otherwise, how am I supposed to know you're at least 18?"

But this asshole right here didn't want him to.

"I am 19, though"

"There's no proof, kid. I can't serve you drinks if you're too young since it's the law, now beat it."

Ah... Laws. 

Back in the backstreets, laws were nothing more than suggestions. All you had to worry about was maybe the regulators or anyone you wronged getting back at you.

He'd need to be careful about those laws. Maybe there was some sort of manual that would tell him all of the basic rules of this new world. He sighed and walked away.

Hunter had already left the mansion days ago on his way to Vale. Klein, Weiss, and Whitley had already said their goodbyes, with Hunter saying he'll buy some souvenirs.

Right now, he's on an airship going to Vale. He marched out into the hallway, shuffling with his back tilted towards the wall. The ground suddenly shifted beneath him. His stomach flopped over on itself, and he nearly vomited. Maybe it was good that he hadn't gotten a drink.

He'd been so excited at first too, being so high up in the air for the first time. Riding on an airship really sucked as he now found out that he had airsickness. 

He entered his private room and flopped down on his bed.

The first several days had been largely composed of him staring outside of the tiny porthole window in his room, looking at the sight of the transient ground below. The land exploded with forests and mountains and villages of all sizes covered in snow. He's now used to seeing the amount of flora in front of him.

Then the land had given way to the sea. This is the first time he had seen an ocean, maybe he could take his siblings to a beach. Many people back in the city were talking about it and now he was curious. 

There was a sharp knock at the door. "Housekeeping!"

He leaped for the peephole, looking through and seeing an elderly woman with a cart full of cleaning supplies. "Already clean, but thanks" The woman stared back before smiling and leaving.

He eventually stepped away and sat down on the cot. He could've slept on the floor for all it was worth. He'd paid a lot more for a private room, even one so small, but it was worth it. He felt it in his pockets, nearly empty of lien, gone was Jacques' daily allowance.

He had thought about resorting to stealing once he had gotten off. 

Hunter shook his head, getting the evil thoughts off his mind. He's a protector of justice and his weapon proved that he is, he's not some thug that will hurt others because he's out of lien. 

He looked at his watch and flipped through the notes, examining the time. Jacques had scheduled for him to meet with someone that was going to give him a quick tour around the kingdom after dropping off.

He shook his head, he was going to check his stuff just to pass time, but first things first. He turned on the TV and switched between the channels.

"—ikos endorses Pumpkin Pete's! You too can be a champion with our great breakfast!"