Chapter 11 - The Birth of the Corp

"Talking"

'Thinking'

'E.G.O'

<< Message >>

<< LOUD VOICE FROM SPEAKERS/MEGAPHONES >>

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Four days had gone by since Hunter's return to Atlas. His alarm blared as the sound echoed all over the room. He groaned and, in a moment of morning grogginess, accidentally smashed the clock to bits with his fist. Shards of plastic and glass scattered across the room.

He sat on his bed and rubbed his eyes "Whoops... I'm just going to buy a new one..." he mumbled.

He wore his EGO suit and strapped Justitia onto his back. Before leaving the room, he couldn't resist giving his appearance one more quick check in the mirror. 

He tried out different hairstyles, from the meticulously combed-back look that he had settled on to a more casual, tousled appearance. He finally opted for the professional yet approachable style, reminding himself that today was all about making a good first impression.

Since today is the day he will greet his employees.

<<--/// Meanwhile ///-->>

In the cafeteria, 20 people in black suits stood patiently or chatted amongst themselves. Four of those people were wearing red armbands on their right arms to signify that they are agents, while the rest had no armbands.

The elevator door opened, which revealed Hunter with a slicked-back hairstyle. 

Hunter stared at the crowd with a wide smile. Behind that smile, is a nervous man with stage freight "Hello, employees of this new company, I am Hunter, your manager, your friend, and your boss. If any of you have any questions, feel free to ask and I'll answer your questions" One man raised his hand "Yes?"

"What exactly is our job here?"

"Clerks will be in charge of office tasks, which may vary depending on the department. Since this is the control department, all clerks will mostly watch the CCTV and use the speakers to notify everyone if there is a breach. Other tasks include making sure the office is fully supplied, filing and classifying reports according to Atlas standards, and avoiding any Abnormalities you may encounter" 

"Abnormalities? The fuck did I sign up for?" one of them said. Already regretting applying for the job because of the high pay.

Ignoring the employee, Hunter continued "Don't panic if you come across one, all personnel is equipped with firearms and protective gear for such an event. Clerks will be given firearms, ammo, and protective gear, while Agents will be granted unique weaponry known as EGO at my discretion. I will direct the Agents' workflow, and clerks will get work orders on your PD- Scrolls"

"How can we differentiate a clerk and an agent?" One clerk asked.

"You can tell which is which by looking at their armbands, their suits, or their weaponry. Agents would have armbands, while clerks do not. Any more questions?" No one answered "Good. You three, with the armbands! Come with me, I'll teach you four how to handle an abnormality. The rest of you can start to work. Take it easy, since it's the first day"

The clerks began to do their own thing as Hunter and the other three entered an elevator. They arrived at the containment unit of Ppodae.

"This is Ppodae, a TETH level abnormality. First off, you need to treat abnormalities like your friends. If they're happy, they'll produce more Enkephalin, which is the number one priority Agents must do. Second, if an abnormality is breaching, don't panic, as I said earlier. If you encounter one, I'll be the one deciding whether to engage or not"