Chapter One: The Sex God

A/N: I restarted this one, and I'm much happier with it now! Enjoy! Feedback is always appreciated! :) By the way, the multimedia is a picture of Ian Somerhalder, the actor I chose for Mr. Adams. I edited in the whiteboard background ;)

Chapter One: The Sex God

I looked down at my cellphone as the screen lit up with a new text.  It was from my sister, reading:

Molly                 8:32am

Mom & Dad are back together.  Where the fuck have you been, sis?

I bit my lip and looked around the room nervously, making sure the teacher still hadn't arrived for class.  Then I returned to my phone to reply:

Averie               8:34am

Can't answer that. Love you, Molly.

A few moments later my phone buzzed again.  The teacher still hadn't made an appearance, so I figured there was no harm in having my phone out during "class".

Molly               8:37am

Are you at least still going to school?  I can't look after you while I'm in a different country, Ava.  Stay out of trouble.  Go home.

I rolled my eyes.  Leave it to Molly to, for the billionth time, bring up her exchange program in England.  You'd think she'd realize by now that I don't care if she's an eleven hour plane ride away.  It's not like I'm solely dependent on her or anything.

Averie             8:39am

Yeah.  I'm supposed to be doing English right now, but the teacher's a no show.  I'm not going home.

Molly             8:40am

Averie Reine Darling.  Mom's worried sick.  Get your ass home.

Averie            8:41am

You know, the whole "full name" thing loses its effect over text.  And there's no way I'm ever going home.  That place is hell on earth.

It was at that moment that our English teacher decided to grace us with his presence.  I had to fight to keep my jaw from dropping in awe when I saw him.  His dark hair was tousled after being obviously neglected when the man rose from bed.  His eyes were an icy blue that twinkled with mirth as his full lips quirked up into a perfect, crooked smile.  He wore a white button-up shirt, leaving the top two buttons undone, and washed out, loosely fitted jeans.

Those frosty eyes became stern as he fixed me with a stare. "Phones away," he said.  His voice was deep and rich; the sound was music to my ears, causing my heart to skip a beat.  Blushing, I tucked my cellphone back into my pocket as I murmured an apology.

I shot a glance at my two best friends, Kara and Corinne, who sat a few desks away.  Kara's eyes were wide as she looked at me and mouthed, "Holy shit," while casually pointing at the new teacher.  She flipped her golden curls over her shoulder and fluttered her long dark eyelashes.

I rolled my eyes and mouthed, "You have a boyfriend!"

She just shrugged and continued to stare at the man standing before us.  I grinned at Corinne and she smiled and shook her head knowingly.  Kara has always been the biggest flirt.

It was understandable though.  Since when are teachers allowed to be so hot?

The sex god walked to the front of the room and wrote "Mr. Adams" on the white board.  While he was writing he began to speak, his low voice causing goosebumps to rush across my skin. "My name is Mr. Adams and I'm going to be teaching you English for the remainder of the year."

"What happened to Mrs. Denman?" a boy from the back of the room asked.

"I've been asked not to share details of her absence with students," Mr. Adams said slowly.

"I heard she got caught screwing a student," another voice called out.

"That's quite enough," Mr. Adams said sternly. "This is an English class, not a slumber party.  We have no reason to gossip in here."

A couple students snickered softly as he began reading out each students last names for role-call.

“Arden?” Mr. Adams called.

“Right here!” Kara chirped, giggling and fluttering her long, mascara-caked eyelashes again.

I rolled my eyes and whispered, “Stop acting like a whore, Kara.”

She sent me a look of mock disgust before returning her gaze to the masterpiece that was our English teacher.

"Carlisle?" he said next.

"Here," a girl at the back called.

He nodded and said, "Cromwell?"

"Yeah," a boy sitting in the very front of the class replied.

“Darling?” Mr. Adams asked.

I froze.  My heart was pounding.  Since when did a teacher call a student darling?  How inappropriate.  Especially for a man who was so unbelievably young and attractive.

“Um, Averie Darling?” Mr. Adams said. “Is there an Averie here?”

Shit.  I just forgot my last name.  Put a sexy man in the same room as me and my brain goes to mush.  Fantastic.

“Sorry!” I cried, blushing with embarrassment. “I’m right here!"

“Perhaps you should spend less time texting and socializing with your friends, Miss Darling, and more time paying attention to what is going on in my class,” he said after a moment.  With that, he returned to the attendance list.