40

Next week seemed to come around all too quickly! I was trying on dress after dress and shoving them off for one reason or another. Around an hour later I had settled on a grey knee length dress with a small amount of lace covering my slight arms. I settled on some minimal makeup, just a bit of contour and mascara and my long hair in a high pony tail.

I spent a little longer making sure I looked acceptable to meet Brooke's mum. I hadn't heard the best things about her from Brooke but I still wanted to make a good impression nonetheless.

I got ready to get into the car, making sure I had remembered Brooke's present; I know she won't be happy but I know she will love it!

The drive over to Brooke's house was nerve racking, I was trying to practise how I would greet her mum, picture what she would be like, who would she think I was? Did she know Brooke and I were seeing each other? We're we seeing each other? I made a mental note to ask Brooke that at some point. But probably not today.

The nerves reached fever pitch when I pulled into Brooke's drive. I got out of the car and straightened my dress. As I walked up to the door Brooke came bounding out and practically launched herself at me.

"Hey beautiful! I missed you so much...and by the way you look irresistible." The last part was more of a whisper into my ear but it was amazing to hear all the same, and made me feel a now all too familiar feeling.

"Hmm I missed you a tiny bit too. And happy birthday! How old are you now? 45.." I winked at the beautiful face before me.

"Oh what am I going to do with you..." she said with a mock punch to my arm. "Come on, let's go see my mum. Also don't look so nervous, she won't say anything to you about being gay..." I could tell by the smirk she gave me that she was winding me up so I would let her get away with it for now...but only because it's her birthday.

"Mummm!!!" Brooke shouted as she walked through the front door. "Katie is here"

With that Brooke's mum came waltzing through from what I assumed to be the kitchen. She definitely had similarities to Brooke in terms of her appearance, with dark brown eyes and hazel shoulder length hair. Except she was more slender than Brooke.

"Hi Lisa, I'm Katie" I'm glad that Brooke talked a lot about her mum on the phone to me, because I was hoping I now knew enough to impress her.

"Hello Katie, it's lovely to meet you. Did you have a safe journey over here?" Even her voice sounded the same as Brooke's, it was quite eerie really.

"I did thank you, it doesn't take too long once you've done it a couple of times. I must say your home is lovely" I said with my most fake smile on.

"Oh wow how lovely, thank you Katie. Shall we all grab some lunch, you must be hungry after that drive" Lisa walked towards the kitchen. It wasn't a large kitchen, but large enough for a small table for us to sit around and eat. It definitely didn't feel as warm as lunch with my family would feel, but then again I didn't really expect it to feel that way.

"So, how long have you known B?" I assume she means Brooke? I raise an eyebrow to Brooke and she avoids my gaze. Hmm something tells me she's not fond of the name.

"Ermm about a month I would say. I met her when we went to the timber yard."

"Ah yes her uncle Tony's yard, so you work for the company that was trying to help them?" How much or little does she know?

"Yeah I do, I've worked there for years now." I was trying to be coy. I didn't want to drop Brooke in it, I got the feeling she wasn't particularly honest with her mum.

"Nice, we'll maybe you can teach B a think or two about keeping a good job!"

"Mum, don't start please. Im trying my best there" I gave Brooke a sympathetic look.

"Yeah well we know how good your best is don't we." I really don't think I like this woman. "Did B tell you that she will never have grandchildren for me Katie?"

"Excuse me?!" I nearly spat out my drink.

"She's a lesbian. So all I've got to look forward to is cats." Her words were so cutting.

"With all due respect Lisa, I think Brooke is brilliant at her job, I don't think she gets the respect she deserves and in my opinion she's the best girlfriend I have ever had. I'm really sorry, thank you for lunch, but I have to leave now." I can't believe I said that! I got up, shimmied my jacket off the chair and headed towards the door, Lisa just sat there in utter shock. I'd be surprised if she wasn't still sat there this time tomorrow.

Heading towards the door I heard the familiar footsteps of Brooke behind me, im so stupid and selfish to not have considered how this would affect her.

"Brooke I'm so sorry I spoke to your mum like that, I didn't have any..." but before I could finish my sentence Brooke's lips were on mine, she almost hurdled towards my face, holding it between her hands. The kiss seemed to last forever, I didn't want it to end, I felt that she needed it as much as I did.

"Baby, don't you ever apologise, that is the nicest thing that anyone has ever done for me. Now please can we go back to yours? This isn't home for me anymore."

"Of course, do you need to go and get some clothes first? I can wait in the car for you?"

"Thanks Katie, gimme a sec" and with that I headed towards the car, with one more passenger than I expected on my trip home but I wouldn't have it any other way. Brooke deserved so much more than the way her family treats her and if I can offer her some security for a little while, then so be it.

True to her word, Brooke was only a couple of minutes. When she got in the car I could tell that she had been crying but I chose not to push it, I knew she would speak to me if she wanted to.

"You hungry?" I noticed Brooke hadn't eaten much for lunch and I'm not sure if it was intentional or if she was as nervous as I.

"A little but I can wait, shall we get a takeaway at yours?" She couldn't have made it sound anymore perfect!

"For now baby, it's ours." Maybe that did though.