Ch 7. The simmer

The next day Quackity stayed in his room, trying to process what happened the previous night, while Karl and Sapnap just talked in the guest room. “Karl I know things got a little out of hand last night but, really? You're worried about that slime that Quackity keeps around?” “Yes! Something about him just doesn’t feel right and I- *sigh* I just don’t trust him, can’t say why..” “why can’t you say why?” Karl said nothing and just looked at the ground. “Come on Karl..ya gotta tell me at some point.”  “I will. Just…not right now.” “Alright then. Maybe we should go find some breakfast? I’m sure Big Q has something around here.”  “Yea.” The two walked around Las Nevadas looking for “breakfast food.” After a bit they collectively decided to ask Charlie, since how Quackity was busy, and kinda ignoring them for the day. It was just something he got used to doing after being Vice President with Schlatt.

“Hey uhm.. slime? Do you know where we can get breakfast food around here?” Sapnap asked Charlie. “Oh yea! Here follow me!” Charlie took them to the burger shop in which had more than just burgers, it had potatoes, carrots, beets, berries, among other things. “Thanks! See Karl there’s nothing to be afraid of.” Karl just looked at the slime before walking off with sapnap. Charlie hid in one of the slight holes in the wall and watched the two. Sapnap rang the bell at the front and fundy popped up. “Hey guys! What can I get you?” Fundy said with a smile. “Fundy you work here?” “Yep! Not the best but hey it works!” Sapnap was a but confused but decided to continue. "Oh cool! So, what type of breakfast foods do you have?" "Well we have breakfast burritos, eggs, ~~~." Fundy trailed on with the foods then the two ordered. Karl decided to get some hash browns and eggs and sapnap got the breakfast burrito.

After breakfast the two decided to see what else las nevadas had, considering it was pretty big but still a work in progress. They stopped by one of the casinos, some larger buildings, and a couple other places. Eventually they came across a rather large building currently in progress. "Hey isn't that foolish?" Karl asked. "Yea I think so let's go talk to him! Hey foolish!" Foolish was pretty focused on one of the pillar designs and didn't notice sapnap's call. "HEEYYY FOOLLIISSHH!!" Sapnap spoke louder. "Hm? Oh!" Foolish shrunk from his 24 ft size to his normal "human" size. "Hey guys! What brings you here?"  Foolish greeted the two. "Ah some.. Things happened in kinoko kingdom so we decided to drop by las navadas!" Sapnap replied. He found it would be best not to mention that it was burnt down, let alone that quackity was the one who burnt it down. After all foolish was one of the people who helped build it. "So whatcha working on here?" Karl asked. "Oh this? Quackity decided to open a bank and needed help building it. Paid good money too." "Oh that's cool I suppose. Wonder what he's gonna do with it.  The bank I mean." Sapnap said. Foolish looked back at the build for a moment. It WAS rather large for a bank. Foolish thought about big Q's requirements, 4 big vaults, 3 small vaults, 2 teller stands, 1 room for deposits. It was an odd request but foolish got the money and Las Navadas was a big country. "I'm not sure. It's a big bank though. Big bank for a big country. You guys wanna take a look?"  "Oh sure! What do you say karl?"  Karl looked at the bank. "Sure why not. It's honking big."

Meanwhile Charlie had gone back to Quackity. "Hey big man!" He said, mimicking Tommy. "Not right now sch- Slime. I'm busy running the country."  "Oh what kind of paper work you got? Maybe I could hel-"  "no not right now kid. Look I appreciate your excitement and ready to help attitude but right now I just need time to think. Why don't you go help Karl and Sapnap find a place to stay or something." "Oh.. Ok!" Charlie walked out looking back at the annoyed Quackity for a moment. After Charlie left, Quackity looked at the door for a moment. *mind* "did I really almost call him of all people Schlatt? He's so nice and he doesn't drink….. I need to calm down and just.. Maybe I'll go to my room for a bit. I got most of the paperwork done anyway."  Quackity walked out of the office and locked it. He went to the balcony and looked at the country, it really was something. He noticed Karl and Sapnap walk out of his burger shop towards where foolish was building. "Hmm maybe I should see how foolish is  doing.." He walked to the opposite side of the balcony and managed to spot foolish in his tallest form before shrinking to presumably talk to the two fiances.

Quackity sighed for a moment before walking from the needle. He decided to go his room. In his room was an office style desk, a bed, a closet, and a small safe. He opened the safe to reveal three rings, two photos, one of which had a face covered with black tape; some cash, and a key chain with a gold and blue ring and a red and gold ring. Quackity picked up the key chain and the photo with the black tape and carefully pulled back the tape, as to not damage the photo. The photo was of Quackity and Schlatt on the podium of old L'manburg. He held the old rings in his hand and stared at the picture for a moment. "I can still feel his presence… " he muttered. He shoved the rings and picture in his pocket and put the safe away, the three custom rings still inside. He figured he'd visit an old friend for once. They've had their "disagreements" in the past but what the heck. Quackity walked through the snow with a forged letter in hand. "Techno! Hey! How's it been?"  "Aha- Quackity what a surprise! Did you come for my birthday or?"  Oh it's his birthday. "Oh it's your birthday? I had no idea, I'll have to get you something-" "ah nah its alright Q. So what's up?"  "Ah right! So I've been visiting dream for a while here and he wanted me to give this letter! Well a recreation of it anyway. I can't take letters out of the prison heh." "Oh really? What's it say?"  "Not much really. But he really wants you to visit! His old buddy!" Quackity smiled toward techno, despite his resentment. "Oh? I'll have to uhh. I'll have to drop by! hEh." "Well cool! Anyway I should probably head back. But hey happy birthday man!" "Alright. Thanks! And hey before you go-" Quackity turned towards the pigman. "Your not still mad about the uhh HEH- ya know?" Techno motioned across his own face in the same direction Quackity's scar went. "Oh noo! We're chill now! After all we did work and take down the egg! Nasty thing."  "Yea I suppose. Figured I'd make sure! Anyway I should head back too. See ya Quackity!" "Bye techno!" Techno walked back down the hill, cape trailing behind him. Quackity walked back to his horse and rode back to Las Navadas.

Charlie sat at the fountain, Quackity left, Karl hasn't said anything to Sapnap about him, and the other residents are busy doing their thing. As for him? He wasn't sure what to do. He sat for hours, he didn't make anything dust, and didn't wilt the flowers. He just sat. Eventually Quackity came back but he just passed Charlie, he didn't say anything. Something flew out of Quackity's pocket, it was a photo, slightly burnt around the edges. Charlie picked it up, careful not to get slime on it. The two people in the picture looked happy. Charlie went after Quackity to give him back the picture. He wasn't sure why he had it with him, Quackity didn't usually carry things with him unless he was busy with work or going to the prison, and even  then he had a bag with him.
_______________________________________