Chapter 15

Carter's pov

"I'd rather spend an extra hour with your grandmother than be out here in the cold lost!" I retorted and Jolene laughed.

"We're not lost silly," her English accent was cheerful as ever.

"We're exactly where we need to be. See?" She gestures to an antique looking church that didn't look much from the outside but the glass art from the outside, I can trust my instinct that this is one of the most beautiful churches within a ten mile radius.

"Let's head in, I recognize few of the cars parked out here," she grabs my hand.

"Remind me why we walked," I groaned as I'm being dragged along.

"Because you needed a brain break," she reasoned.

"That's exactly my point. Break. A brain break. Not a brain freeze," I scoffed and she laughed.

"The younger version of you would do anything for an adventure," she teased and caught me off guard. "Look, we're here," she opened the old wooden doors as warm air felt flush against my cheeks.

Just as I thought... the glass art was as beautiful as ever. The different shades of colors that shined on the floors and furniture was magical. The floors were a deep red wine color but as we got closer to where mass would take place, the floors became tile and the walkway down the middle lane was wood. Chandeliers dimly lit and candles providing warmth filled me with something I haven't felt before.

"I-I've never been..." I mumbled hesitantly.

"Don't worry, just do what I do," she lead the way as I saw a few people on kneeling down on something with their hands together and their heads were down.

Dumbass, they're praying. Just say they're praying.

But I'm nervous...

I watched Jolene stepped to the side by a- I didn't even realize the waterfall of the statue of Jesus with his arms held out was actually a fountain for you to dip your finger at the very bottom and make the sign of the cross. The edging was marbled-

I got lost in the details and forgot I was supposed to mirror everything Jolene does.

"You're doing great," she softly smiled.

"There's more?" I was starting to feel uneasy.

"For now, no. But during a mass, there's a lot more. It won't be hard since I know the routine. If there's a position for an organist or pianist or better yet, both, I'd be more than happy to show you everything you need to know," she softly spoke.

Everything in here sounds so hollow. I can hear the prayers of others in here.. can Jolene hear them?

"Mark," Jolene greeted a man.

"Afternoon to you- and you as well," he stuck his hand out for me to shake.

"Carter," I smiled.

"Mark. That's a serious handshake you have there," he smiles.

"Not as serious as yours," I made him chuckle with my compliment.

"Mark, as previously, this is a very good friend of mine, Carter. Not only is a national classical competitor in piano, she plays piano for the youth symphony program here in New York as a part time college student. She recently just got out of a cast and I do mean just the other day this week; I was wondering if there was a position for her to build the momentum back in her playing ability," she practically pitched a sale.

"We recently made an order for a harpsichord for a private wedding in a few weeks. Extremely wealthy family might I add. We already have a pianist and an organist... if you can play the harpsichord, that'd be great," he scratched the back of his head in bewilderment.