Chpater 33

Carter's pov

The stage lights were so bright, I could feel myself starting to sweat. I can't see anything past the first three rows for crying out loud.

"Raheem, would you like to share a few words before taking the stage?" Bishop's voice caught my ears.

"Prepare yourselves. That is all, thank you," he handed back the mic before leaving on his cue.

"As for you Ms. Cammery?" Bishop handed me the mic.

"I- uh...." I quickly but my tongue.

I should really consider taking a public speaking class next semester-

"I don't even know what to say. Just to see all these beautiful faces- I'm so grateful of the time you're willing to spare for this evening's event," I smiled and some people even whistled and few threw roses.

Some members of the crowds that sat up front whispered and nodded approvingly of me as I walked to the back of the stage.

"Showtime," Raheem almost slouched over me until I ducked just in time for him to run his face into the curtain and Bishop turned his head to the side to eye both of us as he continues to make the closing of his welcome.

"For you. But this is my debut," i strutted back to sit with Johannes.

"Nala," she spat and the beautiful woman was in all black silk with black leather heels to go with her grey slacks.

"Evening," she minded her business.

"Remember stage presence," she took Raheem by the shoulders.

They both changed assertive nods.

"Raheem, you're up," one of the back stage managers signaled.

I turned to face Johannes attentively.

"Fix your fucking face or I'll shove more than the meds down your throat," she croaked.

"Where's my pep talk?" I teased and she elbowed me.

"You never really needed a pep talk... weirdo," she's as grouchy as ever.

"Still would be nice to hear some words of encouragement," I sighed.

"You're not a weakling that needs to be told 'everything will be okay' Cammery... have some self respect. If anything, over the years, I came to realize that you flourish in high stakes performances more than anything- simply because the only thing that's on your mind is that you've done it to your optimal best to prepare everything so the only thing left on your list is to connect with the people," she informed me.

"Sounds like an excuse to not give me a pep talk," I shrugged and she hissed making me giggle.

"I'm taking you out for a drink after this," she grumbled.

"Aren't you too old to be drinking?" I questioned her.

"Aren't you too young to have never been drunk?" She sassed me.

"Could you two please-

"Look who has time to say something now," Johannes cut Raheem's private teacher slash former student from her career off... still can't wrap my head around this one.

"Surely, you'd have some experience in being able to watch your student proudly," Nala scoffed.

"It's been a while. Today will be me and Carter's first time like the good ole days," she grimaced and I quickly realized Johannes claimed to be proud of my performances and never once Nala's...

I'm gonna hang back on this one-

All three of us caught wind of a note being played that was beyond horrendous to the music being played- and there it goes again... and again.

Soon enough, whispers start to echo until playing stops abruptly. We didn't hear a cadence in the last few playing so even I know, the performance wasn't finished.

"No he-

"What's going on?" I whispered.

"You weren't paying attention?" Johannes eyed me.

"I mean- he didn't flat the A. The piece is in Eb major- it's a Bach piece with a fugue for fuck sake- but it easily modulates into C minor... however even with that, it shouldn't have caused him to go out an play this piece in Bb major and having to shift into g minor as the relative unless..." I slowly stopped talking eyeing Nala who's mouth is wide open...

"See, I'm never proud of any other student I've had before Carter," Johannes readjusts her seat.

Raheem stormed off the stage not bowing as there was scatter claps across the auditorium.

"Y-you can hear all of that?" Nala stuttered.

"I mean- yeah. But I don't know why bother playing a piece in a different key if you already know how to play it," I was so confused.

"No, you heard the note- the exact note.." Nala is still looking into oblivion in my direction.

"I hope that was an A natural I heard," I looked over at Johannes and she shot a thumbs up.

"Well, it's an A natural. What about it?" I seriously don't know.

"You can play by-

"Ohhhhhh I get it!" I quickly caught on and even Raheem turned to join in on the conversation with a pout.

"You do?" Nala and Raheem said in sync.

"It's one thing to play from my favorite composer and my repertoire but it's entirely thought provoking to do it AND pull it off by transposing it into a different key. I should say, good attempt," I very enthusiastic but they seemed even more pissed.

But deep down, even I know what I said was their way of being disrespectful to me: that solo is from my history of solo performances. To hand pick the one I bested him in my first championship against him and then to transpose it to another key as means to slap me across the face saying my efforts are pointless...

It just hurts knowing how far they're willing to stoop just to mess with me mentally.

As if the journey I took to stand here day isn't fucking with me already... I'm doing this sober. I have to prove it to myself that no one can interfere with my craft.

"Carter, you're on in one," the back stage manager rushed.

"And you claimed us to be prepared for your Bach solo," I scoffed and ruffled my curls briefly as my slick and tight black glitter gown was lifted slightly so I could walk more efficiently.

"Hmph," Johannes sat back with her arms crossed and I could feel her smirking at the back of my head.