Chapter 30

Eleanora's pov

I can't believe Carter is this far out- it hurts me even more knowing that I was the last straw.

"Damnit!" I sniffled.

She won't even spare me a chance to talk to her. She's convinced she's not worthy of love and won't take 'yes' as an answer from anyone.

...it's like she's lost hope...

That's not Carter.

The glare her eyes had as they were dull from the pain, frustration and anger; it's consumed her completely. The twinkle in her eyes are no longer there. I haven't seen a genuine sparkle in her eye ever since that night in the kitchen- I can't even remember the last time I went in there with a clear head...

Every time I walk in the kitchen, I just relive everything over and over and over again.... losing my appetite to eat anything. I just sit and mope on the couch to starve myself.

Knocking caught my ear and I looked out my living room sliding glass door; it's pouring rain and thundering like crazy- these salesmen have gone ballistic about getting their product out in the open.

The knocking continues as I wipe up my tears.

"I'm coming! I dont mean to yell, I just didn't want to be-

I couldn't find the air in my lungs to speak at the sight of her...

She's shivering and soaked from the rain- it's still spring!

I can see her breath tremble in the cold air, she continues to look at the ground- the nerve...

"C-Carter... get in here!" I pull her into my hallway.

Carter's breathing starts to slow but she still hasn't spoken a word or said anything. All I could do was stare at her blankly. The rain is loud but not as loud as our silence right at this very moment.

I didn't realize my hand is on her forearm is still- they're stiff as ever and she's still shivering...

She's going to catch a cold-

Carter let's out a sneeze and I immediately pulled her along as I took her upstairs.

"We need to talk about your recklessness but right now, you need to let me take care of you before you get sick and you won't be top shape to compete-

"You don't see me resisting. I don't see a point in explaining," she softly replied and her eyes still won't look up at me...

I-

I stormed off to the bathroom to run the shower on hot- hot as possible it can get. The nerve of her to cut me off in the middle of speaking as she's fighting off a cold.

I'm trying to take care of you.

I don't know what to think- nothing feels real.

Not even the part about me pulling her in my home. To be fair, she came to me- I may not know what it's about... probably to apologize for her behavior.

She's hell bent on keeping away from me until the competition is over.

The steam from the shower was obnoxiously intoxicating and the steam flushed the tile floors to the point I had to put towels down.

I rush back into my bedroom with Carter sitting on the edge of the bed- exactly where I left her.

She hasn't moved a single muscle.

I know she likes to wander around my house looking at my trinkets back from home and my family pho- none of it matters right now.

A sneeze broke the silence followed by thunder.