daemon targaryen ; two birds, one stone

summary ; requested by anon.

"Hello, could you write about Daemon x Fem! Reader? Could you base it on Two Birds by Regina Spektor? Daemon and the reader are friends and little by little they fall in love, but the reader has always been in delicate health and little by little he dies, but not before getting in a relationship with Daemon. I'm looking forward to reading something sad and sweet. Thanks 🥺"

pairing ; friends-to-lovers!daemon targaryen x frail!reader

notes ; i listened to the song while thinking about this imagine and omg?? the parallels,, the symbolism,, regina is a genius

┉⠀❩⠀⠀●⃟⠀⠀❨⠀┉━

two birds on a wire, one tries to fly away,
and the other watches him close, from that wire.
he says he wants to as well,
but he is a liar.

daemon targaryen has always been a man with a boys heart. eager to be on some new, wild adventure, to swing his sword and play at war to defend his family, or even explore the wonders of the great world. whatever it was, daemon made it known that he would accomplish those and so much more.

he often told you stories about what he had learned from brothel keepers, ship stewards, and merchant traders. he always said that he would keep you by his side forever, even going as far to even haunt you in what ever afterlife their was. you supposed, in his own way, it was a sweet gesture.

that was some twelve years ago when you were both children.

now, daemon was a grown man. battle-hardened and still eager to explore, he had always asked if you were interested still in exploring the world with him. now that he had his dragon mount caraxes, it would make traveling safer and shorter. you've always remain loyal and steadfast to him, offering him council when he complained about his older brother.

your answer had always been yes to his questions about traveling the world with him. with bright, eccentric ideas, you knew daemon was meant for something greater than being the commander of the city watch. yes, it was something to ease his mind and be his plaything for now, but you knew he would always get bored. perhaps you should've voiced your concern about leaving kings landing before you agreed to travel with him.

that was before a sickness like no other took hold of your body, leaving you weaker by the day.

i'll believe it all,
there's nothing i won't understand,
i'll believe it all,
i wont let go of your hand

"would you fly across the world with me, to the ends of the earth?" daemon asked you one night. this was after he had an argument with his brother of over his.. activities concerning the city watch and his rather boastful announcement of his nephews demise.

daemon was your bestfriend, so the next words that leave your mouth are out of pure love for him, "i would."

this seems to quell the lingering ache in his heart as he leans forward and gently rests his forehead against your shoulder. you bring your arm up to comfort him, drawing lazy shapes into his clothing in attempt to help soothe him.

there's a moment of silence that passes between you two. he pulls away only a fraction, his eyes searching yours. his are full of softness and devotion – one that he doesn't share willingly to others. you smile and do your best to contain a cough. you raise a hand to cup his cheek, thumb gently caressing his skin.

in the smallest voice he could muster, he says, "i love you."

two birds on a wire,
one says come on,
and the other says i'm tired,