jacaerys velaryon ; the harvest moon

summary ; requested by anon.

"Masquerade ball with Jace?"

pairing ; jacaerys velaryon x reader

notes ; i remembered while watching got that highgarden hosts masquerade balls during the harvest moon and i had to write this,, :p

━┉⠀❩⠀◗⠀●⃟⠀◖⠀❨⠀┉━

having the privilege to witness the autumn equinox befall over westeros was a wondrous spectacle that many lords and lady's flocked to highgarden for. the reach, one of the realms prime food administrator, never failed to have a ball in honor of the event.

somehow at the castle of highgarden, the atmosphere was otherworldly. crickets sang melodies, fireflies danced in the air, and dragonfly's raced across the manmade ponds within the open infrastructure of the castle. arrays of flowers, shrubbery, and bushes lined fences and decorated the empty spaces between each room. vines and flower-bound, wood lattices laid in open windows to offer some privacy. with fountains that provided decor and warm lanterns that lit pathways, highgarden was truly magnificent at night.

the sound of joyous music reaches your ears as you survey the grounds behind your eye mask. the lord and lady's of the event are dressed extravagantly; long, flowy ball gowns adorn the body's of the women, and the men wear fancy dressage under long coats. they all wear exotic masks; some embellished with jewelry or lace, others colored and lined with feathers. some line half the face and others line the eyes.

the harvest moon ball was the event of the year.

you bid your father a farewell, unlinking your arm from his and begin to wander the grounds by yourself. you offer a smile to any lord or lady that meets your eye, dipping your head in respect. you reach a table that houses platters of desserts, custards and cakes lining each plate. you cast a glance around you and peel a candied lemon off a lemon cake, plopping it into your mouth before moving down the table like nothing happened.

"i saw that."

your blood runs cold and you feel yourself still at the words that come from behind. you swallow thickly, licking your lips to rid any glaze that may give you away. you turn around and are greeted by a man, not too much taller than you, wearing very fine leather. there was a difference in the sheen and material of fine and very fine, and he looked deliciously opulent.

who he was, you wondered. it couldn't be too hard to figure out by the colors of his clothes. often, guests of the harvest ball wore faint fragmentations of their traditional house colors—even though it was a masquerade party and your identity was supposed to be a secret. his clothes were dark in color with black, blue, and red detailing. a piece of emblem catches your eye; a three headed dragon.

this was a prince.

"saw what?" you respond back casually, eyes slowly trailing back up to meet his gaze. he blinks receptively at you, almost ignoring the fact that you were practically ogling him.

"what you did there." he motions with his head towards the table. you follow his eyesight to where the victimized lemon cake sat, its sides drooping with sadness at the absence of the lemon slice.

you straighten your back and raise your brows. despite the mask covering your face, it's instinctive rather than forced.

"i don't have the faintest clue what you're alluding to."

he tuts gently and sags his shoulders. soon, he removes the glove from his hand before doing exactly what you did before. he snags a lemon slice off the cake and dangles it over his mouth before letting it rest upon his tongue. he chews thoughtfully before swallowing, returning to meet your gaze. you swallow, tongue licking your own lips.