jacaerys velaryon ; dragon dreaming

summary ; drabble requested by a friend as part of my 1k follower celebration on tumblr.

"with the two prompts: kissing tears from their face and telling them i'm here"

pairing ; jacaerys velaryon x reader

notes / warning ; SPOILERS FOR S1 FINALE. dream depiction of death,, slight angst,, i used dragon dreaming just as a title cause i thought it sounded cool :p

━┉⠀❩⠀◗⠀●⃟⠀◖⠀❨⠀┉━

a terrifying roar shakes the ground, pairing with the orchestrated bass of thunder. lightning strikes the sky and illuminates a small, gray-scaled dragon, fleeing from a scene. he's frantic, eyes wild and wings carrying him unsteadily. his rider is looked around, mouth wide open and eyes screwed as he tries to look through the onslaught of rain.

flaps of wings are audible over the clashing sea and there's a breath of fire that brightens the sky. there's another angry roar and more flaps of wings.

high above the clouds, the smaller dragon becomes more clear. it's lucerys and arrax, flying steadily away from the jaws of harms way. arrax is more content, wings keeping an even pace with eyes observing the journey ahead. then, theres a monstrous growl and arrax is suddenly taken between two, very large jaws.

he's devoured whole.

your eyes fly open and you sit straight up, arm flying out to your side to steady yourself. there's uneven breaths falling from your lips, your chest rising with each unsteady, quick breath. your heart feels like it's going to beat a whole into your chest, the small organ doing its best with the aspect of fear that instills deep within you.

you're sweating, clothes and strands of baby hair clad to your skin. you close your eyes and swallow the tight lump that's swelling in your throat.

when realization strikes, you begin to sob.

despite how quiet you try to be, jacaerys stirs next to you, eyes blinking away the remnants of sleep. his hand gently strokes your back to console you, but when he realizes you're crying, he sits up as well, blanket falling from his bare chest. his brows are furrowing and he scoots closer to you.

"hey, hey." his voice is cooing, quiet and tender. his touch is warm with calloused fingers rubbing unrecognizable shapes into your skin. he notices that you're clammy and frowns at the notion. your dream must've been haunting. "what's wrong?"

you're choking on your sobs at this point. you turn towards him, arms finding their way around his neck and his torso. you're shaking against him as you cry, tears drying when they fall on his warm shoulders. he wraps his arms around you instantly, his embrace strong and unwavering.

"i'm right here," he coos once more, his hand moving to stroke the tangled mess of your hair. the strength of your cries slowly fade away, trickling down into nothing more than shuddering breaths and sniffles. he pulls away, hands sliding to your face and thumbs gently wiping away the tears that are surely staining your cheeks. his heart breaks when he notices how distraught you are. he moves forward, lips placing ghostly kisses on your cheeks. the tears are salty to taste, but he doesn't mind. "i'm right here, love."

he fixes your hair for you, smoothing out the wild frays and pushing the sweaty baby hairs off the crown of your hairline. you lean into his touch, doing the best you can to calm yourself down.

"was it a nightmare?" you nod in response, placing a kiss on his thumb as you hold his hand against your cheek. you take a deep breath, allowing a final sigh to quell the anxiety.

"it was lucerys," your voice is shaky and jacaerys' brows quirk upwards slightly, but he says nothing. "i saw him flying on arrax in a storm.. he was eaten whole."

jace does his best to not appear bothered for your sake, but the plot of your dream causes uncertainty to stir within himself. he was eaten whole? there's only a few dragon beats alive that could swallow a small dragon whole – vhagar, cannibal, vermithor. he blinks his thoughts away, giving you a small, reassuring and archaic smile.

"it was just a dream." he tells you, his thumb stroking your cheekbone once more. you release one more deep sigh, nodding your head in agreement. jace places a comforting kiss on your forehead and helps you lay back into bed. he tucks some of the blanket under you before laying next to you, his arm snaking around your waist and settling his chin on your head.

"it was just a dream." he repeats quietly.

jace isn't sure if the repetition was meant to soothe his or your nerves. he's not a pious or usually unnerved easily, but he stays up for the rest of the night thinking about your dream.