Chapter 2: A Cup of Tea

There was a shocked silence at Wei Ying's sudden disappearance. HRH, Chief War, Aachi and the Lan Disciples, all wore varying expressions of surprise, astonishment, fear, curiosity and.... sadness! This last was seen on ShiZui's face. As Lan Xichen and Jiang Cheng rushed to the spot Wei Ying had been standing at, only seconds ago, he held out an arm, blocking their way.

"Let him be! He wants to be alone!"

"But how..?" Lan Xichen's question was cut off.

ShiZui pointed to the slowly dissipating blue smoke. "He has teleported. No one can follow and find him unless he wants to be found. Don't worry, he just needs time."

"That's not like A'Xian!" Jiang Cheng frowned. "What happened just now?"

The Sect Leaders were apprised of Aachi's briefing and her offer of Murali's company on the search for Lan Zhan. Shizui gave a wry smile. "I can just see Baba agree to that!"

At Aachi's questioning look, Chief War introduced them. "Aachi, this this is Lan ShiZui, son of Hanguang Jun and Master Lan Wei Ying."

Comprehension dawned in the old lady's eyes. Smiling, she peered at the serious young face in front of her. Lan ShiZui bowed deeply to her. Placing a withered arm on his shoulder, she bade him rise, saying, "A fine son for a fine couple!" Lan ShiZui simply couldn't help the smile that crept upon his face nor the sudden moisture in his eyes. His beloved Baba and loving Father had been through so much, to be together, that it rankled that Fate had conspired to separate them again.

He flicked his fingers and activated a glowing talisman. He said, "Respected Grandmother, my Baba probably reacted as he did, because he saw me in your Murali; we are of similar age! He did not want Murali to be placed in danger."

"Well spoken, empathetic and intelligent! You will make a fine Leader, young man!" Aachi's eyes assessed him and he turned to Lan Xichen and Jiang Cheng.

"These are my uncles," ShiZui introduced, as the Sect Leaders bowed. "Sect Leader Lan Xichen, elder brother of Hanguang Jun and Sect Leader Jiang Cheng, younger brother of Master Lan Wei Ying; and they're newly married!" he added with a mischievous smile; quickly stepping out of Jiang Cheng's reach.

This nugget of information spread through the Camp like wildfire, and the pair soon found themselves surrounded by the Trio of Ladies, their nephews, the Chief and HRH!

Lan Xichen and Jiang Cheng, though blushing awkwardly at the sudden exposé, hurried forward, thanking their training in state protocol. They bowed first to Princess Zise and HRH; then to Madam and Chief War; then to Aachi and Matron Beaver; and finally to the remaining assembly. Lan Xichen, a pleasant smile on his visage, said, "Yes, it is true, due to the exigencies of our circumstances, we got married a scant few minutes before we left Sina with the Garudas, and after riding the eye of the storm, we reached Ratnapura."

A tumult of congratulations and a flurry of good wishes surrounded the bridal couple. The Trio withdrew to a huddle, to plot a wedding feast; while HRH whispered instructions to Lieutenant Parakeet to upgrade the Sect Leaders' accommodations.

Alone under the leafless ghost tree, Wei Ying sat, playing their song on Chenqing. Try as he would, the cold dread at the pit of his stomach wouldn't be quelled. He felt restless and a mixture of fear and sorrow stung like ants and the tears flowed unchecked. After a while, the night's vigil and his clamouring emotions wore him out, and sleep came unheralded.

The seas were gray and choppy, there were towering waves. The glowing ball was tossed helplessly up a frothy front that gathered power and speed as the wave rose higher and higher; before skidding perilously down glassy slopes on the other side. Even as Wei Ying watched in mute horror, the wave crashed into another one. Surprisingly, the ball was intact and, cocooned by the dense dark tendrils of An-Nengliang, a pale figure sat within, deep in meditation, undisturbed by the chaos surrounding him.