Chapter 9: Sky Surfer, Wind Whisperer, Sea Spirit

His own headache forgotten, Lan Xichen took Jiang Cheng into his arms and clamed him down, gently carding his fingers through his hair and peppering his scowl with tiny kisses. "Enough!" growled Jiang Cheng, secretly delighted with Lan Xichen's undivided attention. "I am not a baby!"

"But you are... my Babe!" Lan Xichen's grin was anything but innocent.

"And they call you the Pure Jade, hah!" Jiang Cheng smirked while burrowing into his Jade's chest. "Cunning and shameless, is what you are." He leaned back, granting said Jade access to his neck and more.

Things were just getting interesting when Jiang Cheng groaned and clutched at his chest. "Not again, Heavenly Emperor!" Jiang Cheng exclaimed in irritation, even as a few tears made their way down his fair visage.

"Wanyin!" Lan Xichen's distress was arrested by Jiang Cheng's uplifted palm. "It's....Brother Hanguang Jun this time." Jiang Cheng grinned sheepishly through his tears.

Lan Xichen facepalmed. "Wanyin!" Lan Xichen gulped as an awful thought struck him. "Please don't tell me they can feel you.... I mean, when we...? OhMyGod, and don't tell me that you can....?!"

"Bite your tongue, O Shameless Jade, my Shixiong is very careful. He uses his dark core, I have no access to that. I always have Zidian set a perimeter around us, not even a thought can intrude upon us. Hmphh!"

Lan Xichen lifted the angry Lotus into his lap and said, "I would love a demonstration on how that works."

Lan Zhan's frustration was fed by more than just his confinement within the spirit sphere. Wei Ying was late today for their everyday when Lan Zhan cast for him on the ether. Wei Ying opened his channel and adjusted it so that Lan Zhan could hear what Wei Ying could.

Sigh! His Wei Ying was in the throes of tacking sails. Unseasonable storms, the young man Arawinda said. Between guiding Lan ShiZui and Lan JingYi on getting their sea legs and helping Murali with the sails, Wei Ying had neither the time to respond to Lan Zhan nor the privacy.

Tired of constantly tacking sails and having to raise them again a few minutes later, Wei Ying's face held a frown that Arawinda noticed. "Here, Murali, grab the wheel for a while, let me check the skies."

"And how do you do that?" asked Lan JingYi, chirpy and ever curious.

"Well, first you have to climb up into the crow's nest. Once you make it there, you will be able to see the waters for quite a distance ahead and the state of the waves. You can see the clouds better from up there."

"I will go!" JingYi suited action to words, shed two layers of his robes, and clad in his trousers and inner robe tied snugly around him, proceeded to swing up the shrouds speedily.

"Hey, easy, young fellow!"

"Don't you remember where he was hiding?" Wei Ying asked Arawinda dryly and everyone laughed. "Always a monkey! That boy could climb even the tallest evergreens in Gusu," said Wei Ying with a grin and a hint of pride.

Arawinda motioned Wei Ying ahead with his eyes. "Murali, the wheel!"

"I have taken it," answered Murali, eyes firmly locked on the waves ahead.

"Lan ShiZui and Mewan, tack the jib first and then the main sail - I hope you know the ropes*". Lan ShiZui nodded and said, "Sagar gave me lessons. I will tack and maybe you can check on it later; come Mewan!"

They moved aft, leaving Arawinda with Wei Ying. "What's on your mind, Arawinda?"

"Wei Māma*, I almost 100% sure these unseasonable high seas and rough winds are..."