Chapter 7: Weighing Anchor

Rubbing his ring, Wei Ying said, “We are aboard, my Love, we are coming after you and I’ll meet you soon!” His voice reflected both his excitement and his nervousness. Message delivered, Wei Ying set to work, following Arawinda’s instructions to the T. Sagar, in the rowboat, guided the dhony into deeper waters and the sun had crossed the meridian by the time the mainsail, foresail and the jib were hoisted and fastened securely. A gentle breeze behind them chased them away from land and Wei Ying felt a pang as the coast disappeared.

This had been their first visit outside their homeland. Lan Zhan and Wei Ying had experienced great freedom and had also been exposed to grave risk. They’d both gained knowledge and powers and made new friends with new races. This sojourn to one of the most vibrant cultures of the South had been both enriching and empowering. Now, if he could just be reunited with Lan Zhan, Wei Ying  had no complaints, truly.

His Wei Ying had set out. They’d be together soon. Lan Zhan’s breathing grew rapid and his heart rate increased. His ears grew warm and red. He simply couldn’t help the rush of longing that flooded his mind and overwhelmed his senses. The image of Wei Ying’s dancing eyes, the peachy lips that rivalled Cupid’s bow, the skin that smelt of fresh lotuses, that shy smile that always, always made him lose that vaunted Lan restraint!

Lan Zhan ’s foray into the ethereal world had been really, no, make that wildly successful. He’d touched his Wei Ying  the way only he could, he taken liberties with Wei Ying that only he was allowed to, he’d reduced his lover to a moaning mess and left him writhing in ecstasy! But, because he was still physically inside the spirit bubble Lan BaiTuzi had created, he’d had to restrain the use of his strength. Now, he looked forward to crushing his Bunny to his heart and kissing him breathless like there was no tomorrow.

The sound of several thumps and thuds broke his pleasant reverie. A Bottlenose Matron checked a saucer-sized oyster at him and yelled, “Take that, you Shameless Fellow! All night yesterday, and now even in the day!” She huffed indignantly and turned to a male accompanying her. “Here, you’re on patrol. You tell him!”

“Ahem! I’m Officer Dolphin of the Dhivehi Coast Guard. Some night-time disturbance has been reported about this ball and it’s occupant. What is the problem?”

Lan Zhan was startled by the noise and the matron dolphin’s words struck a chord somewhere and he blushed vividly. He was, as usual, at a loss as to how to explain his unique situation. The officer was swishing his tail in annoyance and the lady was still glaring.

He joined his palms In the Lankan style and activating a translation talisman, he said “Madam, Officer, I sincerely apologise for any disturbance I may have caused. I assure you it was not intentional.” In his mind he was repeatedly trying to contact An-Nengliang, who had been suspiciously silent since morning. Finally, nearly frantic, he rubbed his ring and said in a voice full of desperation, “Wei Ying!”

“My Love?” Wei Ying, who was lounging at the foot of the main mast as the dhony sped along, responded immediately, concerned at the unease in Lan Zhan’s voice. “What happened?”

“I can’t contact An-Nengliang  at all today, are you in touch with them?

“Well no, but then I didn’t try recently,” said Wei Ying. “What’s up, you sound worried.”

Lan Zhan  explained briefly and it was Wei Ying’s turn to blush. ‘”My Love, I think that the lady means our everyday. Many sea creatures such as Dolphins can detect ultrasound waves and others such as Cod, Cuttlefish, Squid and Whales respond to infrasonic waves. So your little exclusion on the ether…”

“Understood. I’ll speak again later.”

Lan Zhan’s abrupt termination of the conversation had Wei Ying grinning delightedly, imagining Lan Zhan’s predicament. Why, he himself was flushed with second hand embarassment.