Chapter 6: All Aboard!

Jiang Cheng awoke surrounded by the familiar fragrance of Night Jasmine and a smile curved his lips even before he opened his eyes. "Huan, my Love?" Surprisingly, no reply was forthcoming.

Concerned, Jiang Cheng raised himself on one elbow to see why Lan Xichen wasn't replying. His husband, hair unbound, lounged against a pile of silk cushions, resplendent in a robe of the colour of rain clouds. His strong jaw and sharply defined cheekbones were backlit by the window through which the tender sunrays of early morning were streaming. His eyes were unfocussed.

"A'Huan?" Lan Xichen, apparently lost in some place, time or thought far better than his present, still didn't respond. Now Jiang Cheng was worried and he nimbly crawled over the tangled sheets and cushions to sit in front of his husband.

"Husband?"

Inhaling deeply at the butterflies that this mode of address generated, Lan Xichen blinked and turned to Jiang Cheng, "My Heart?"

He stared deep into Jiang Cheng's widened amethyst eyes before swooping in to kiss those thin lips! Jiang Cheng shuddered and almost fell into Lan Xichen's arms. He glared, "Good Morning to you too!"

"Now what did I do?" Lan Xichen was amused.

"A man would expect some warning..." Jiang Cheng mumbled, his sharp cheek bones standing out in his blushing countenance.

A full smile lit Lan Xichen's face, like the moon emerging from a cloud; and caressing Jiang Cheng's smaller, stronger hands with his long fingers he said, "I will give you ample warning next time, my Heart!"

"Ridiculous!" Jiang Cheng huffed and busied himself tidying his husband's hair. Lan Xichen still had a faraway look as Jiang Cheng tied on the Lan forehead ribbon, before gently running his palms through the silken mass. "Husband, what troubles you?"

This uncharacteristically gentle query brought another smile to Lan Xichen's face. "How caring and understanding you are my Heart! I wish others could see this side of you."

Jiang Cheng seemed to be doing nothing but blush since he'd awakened. He grumbled, "Spit it out, Zewu Jun, why are you sweet talking me?"

Lan Xichen burst out laughing and kissing first Jiang Cheng's hands, said, "Wanyin, I am going to...."

"A'Huan!" Jiang Cheng's gasp was smothered by masterful lips that sought to reignite the delirious blaze of joy and desire that had consumed them last night.

"I am waiting for an answer, A'Huan, I am not easily distracted!"

"I will have to try harder next time," Lan Xichen's smile was pure temptation.

"A'Huan!" Jiang Cheng's voice hit a warning note.

Lan Xichen's smile faded saying, "Night Hawk messenger from Cloud Recesses, my Heart. We will have to leave in a few hours."

"Is that all? Why so glum, my Love? Ah. Your Gusu Clan, your Elders.... Would you like to deal with them, or may I?"

This self possessed, confident and brash young Sect Leader, his demeanour bordering on arrogance and rudeness, however, elicited nothing but admiration and pride in Lan Xichen's heart!

"You, deal with Lan Elders?! That's an idea... maybe we could do just that. I will talk to Shushu and you could tackle the Elders."

Jiang Cheng opened his mouth to refuse and just then noticed Lan Xichen's tightly clenched fists. In his typical style he said, "I just said I would, didn't I? Tell me what is on your mind, Sect Leader Lan!"

This exhortation led Lan Xichen to draw a deep breath and take Jiang Cheng's hand in his. "When Didi married A'Ying," he began, "It was a difficult time for me."