Chapter 13: The Atoll

'Really, there is no place like home and I'm home, in my Lan Zhan's arms'.

Wei Ying's sunlit smile warmed his beloved's heart as he slept on, sprawled across Lan Zhan's sturdy form. Lan Zhan pressed his lips to Wei Ying's forehead, his temple, his cheek and finally to those gently curved lips.

Wei Ying moaned, "Let me sleep, you Beast!" and burrowed into Lan Zhan's chest. Lan Zhan's eyes drank their fill as he lifted his Wei Ying into his arms and settled down to wait. It would rain soon and they should move to shelter.

Murali and Mewan awoke simultaneously, only to find themselves huddled together. Startled by a cough nearby they took a step away from from each others' hold murmuring "Shubha Udaesanak!'*

Mewan took one look at JingYi's smirk.
"R-rain" he blurted, his voice still sleepy.

"It is perfectly dry," Lan JingYi said, with not a little satisfaction.

"Precisely, Mewan and I have spent the whole night keeping it from raining, that's why..." he raised their still clasped hands.

"JingYi and I thank you for your consideration of our reunited parents!" Lan ShiZui came into the battered hut that they'd found a few Lis from the beach. He glared at Lan JingYi, who grinned back, unabashed.

"Big storm approaching; we must find better shelter." Arawinda's words were punctuated with lighting that cut through the cauliflower shaped clouds which were hanging low.

"I wish A'Die and Baba would come in soon."

"Could you send some sort of signal?"

"Great idea!" Patting Arawinda's shoulder, Lan JingYi ran out and sent a Lan flare up into the gloomy noon sky.

Lan Zhan though awake, was pleasantly tired and lulled into rest by the weight of his Love on his lap. His ears sensed the drop in pressure and the air grew clammy and oppressive. Lightning streaked across huge clouds that hung over the atoll. A sudden streak of distinctive blue light flared across the darkening skies. "The boys!"

"Wei Ying!" Lan Zhan's urgent tone cut through Wei Ying 's sleep and he stirred, blinking. Wordlessly he held out his arms. With a smile reserved only for his Wei Ying, Lan Zhan gathered his precious burden and kissed him awake.

'Lan Zhan, what...?"

"The boys sent up a Lan flare; I think it's a warning- could be about the worsening weather. Let us find shelter."

"How far away are they ?"

"About 10 plus Lis, and no, we are too depleted to fly !" Lan Zhan's ears turned red at Wei Ying's delighted cackle.

"Let's ask!" Wei Ying summoned his flute. His notes on the Chenqing sounded like 'Hmm- terr-chick' and it was answered by an eerily similar call.

Following the call, the Jade picked up Wei Ying effortlessly and ran, (yes, he had discovered the joys of running, outside Cloud Recesses of course!) following the three-note call. As he neared the water, a black bird with a distinctive white rump flew low across the water, heading towards a coral ring.

"Follow that bird!"

"Suibian!"

At Wei Ying's sharp cry, both Suibian and Bichen flew out from their Qiankun pouches and, together, they slipped under Lan Zhan's feet just as they neared the razor-edged coral. Lan Zhan didn't even blink, so focussed was he on getting his Love to safety.

'And I am supposed to be the reckless one,' Wei Ying huffed, locking his arms around Lan Zhan's neck.

"Close your eyes, my Love," Lan Zhan smiled at Wei Ying, who nodded in gratitude as they took off.