Chapter 3: Tinker, Sailor, Soldier, Spy!

After Lan Xichen and Jiang Cheng’s Jing Cha, it seemed that a small part of his soul was returning to Wei Ying’s body.

The two Sect Leaders had taken efforts to enumerate their thanks to Wei Ying. Lan Xichen thanked Wei Ying for being Jiang Cheng’s elder brother, guiding and protecting him; and for going so far as to giving him his own Golden Core. As Jiang Cheng wept silently at his side, Lan Xichen held his spouse’s hand and haltingly requested Wei Ying to formally re-establish ties with the Jiang Clan.

Wei Ying sighed, stood up quickly and shook his head vigorously. Lan Xichen stepped back, disappointed and glum-faced. Suddenly Jiang Cheng dashed a hand across his eyes and growled, “Wei Wuxian!“

“Careful, Brat; it’s Shixiong!”  Wei Ying admonished, and Jiang Cheng smiled through his tears, as Lan Xichen looked puzzled.

Jiang Cheng elaborated, “Look at his waist, see that bell?  Hear that jingle? That’s the Jiang Clarity Bell. He is wearing it!” Wei Ying just grinned.

Lan Xichen turned to Jiang Cheng with frown, ”But A’Ying has always worn that bell!”

“Always?”

“Yes, since the first day he came to live in Cloud Recesses, after he and Didi got married.”

Jiang Cheng’s eyes grew round and he stared at Wei Ying; then began shouting. “You… you are a Bad Shixiong! Letting me think….letting us all think you had defected!”

“Idiot!” responded Wei Ying fondly.

Jiang Cheng turned to Lan Xichen and huffed “HuanGe, Shixiong fooled me, fooled all of us; he never left the Clan, not in his heart! You see, the Clarity Bell works only for a true Jiang!”

“And it works very well for him indeed; even Lori was unable to get into his head!”  Xichen exclaimed softly. “Bravo, A’Ying!”

Wei Ying waved aside the praise and simply stepped up to hug both his brothers. Then the Royal Host showered the couple with flower petals and with a fanfare of drums and bells, they were led to their Bridal tent.

Wei Ying flicked his fingers and a red energy barrier sprang up all around it, more effective than a brick wall.

As the Lan Disciples and the others left to prepare the wedding feast, Wei Ying felt more at peace and more grounded.

His Lan Zhan was fine. He’d spoken to him a second time. He was alright, he had told his tumultuous heart. In fact, more than fine! Lan Zhan didn't even seem to be a little perturbed by the heaving waves. He’d get to Lan Zhan soon.

And now, A’Cheng was married! Yes, times would improve!

Wei Ying refused to sit and mope. He found Matron Beaver and demanded work. Madam War espied him and came up bristling. “No work for guests! What with fetching water and picking fruits, anyone would think he is one of the Boys!” Wei Ying hid a grin.

Just then Matron Beaver came in, carrying a basket of fish. ”Here, Boy, clean these. Heads and tails for curry, I need boneless fillets; it's a wedding feast!”

“Spice marinade and shallow fried?” asked Wei Ying, getting into it happily, as Madam War face-palmed!

“Oh yes, I knew I could count on you!”

Wei Ying gave a bunny-like grin and Matron Beaver hurried away, muttering, “Why are all the good ones already taken?” causing Wei Ying to blush! He stuck his face into the fish.

SaMi dashed in with Sagar in tow. “WeiGe! Aachi and Murali want some time with you. This is Bashful…erm, Sagar, my cousin and expert yatchsman.”

Sagar was tall and broad for a beaver, and stood over 5 feet. His muscled body spoke of strength and flexibility. Intelligent eyes scanned Wei Ying once before going neutral. Wei Ying being Wei Ying, dropped the basket, ran to him and shook his paw, as he had seen other teens do, and said , “Yo! Sagar, Ayubowan!”