Chapter 12: Land Ahoy!

Murali pursed his lips, and just as the pirates' flaming arrows hit the naval decks, he blew out. The flames extinguished almost simultaneously aboard each dhony. The pirates huddled, wild eyed at this evidence of sorcery. Where had that gust come from? Each sail still hung forlorn!

Forestalling a second attempt, Mewan summoned waves, sudden upsurges that just splashed over the pirate decks, drenching their vats of oil, rendering them useless!

Meanwhile, Captain Sundar's men, recovering their wits, swarmed aboard the pirate vessels and commandeered them.

Amidst the utter confusion on the pirate boats, Lan ShiZui and Lan JingYi elegantly leapt into the air. Wei Ying watched, his mind taking him back to his Beloved at the rooftops in Cloud Recesses. They landed, flanking Wei Ying. He laughed in delight at this filial display and hugged his boys.

Pulling Chenqing out of his waistband, Wei Ying had trilled but a few notes - long tendrils of dark smoke rained from the clouds above, neatly tying each pirate up, immobilizing them. Captain Sundar's men were then ordered to load them on to their respective dhonies.

"These men are evil, conscienceless creatures, Master Wei. Allow us to end their sorry existence!" Captain Sundar's demand was met with a few more high pitched notes and the pirates fell senseless on to their decks.

"Just send them back where they came from," Wei Ying directed.

Arawinda looked up at the first stars that appeared overhead. He then dove into the water and swam ahead of Wei Ying's dhony for a few zhang.

Hauling himself back up on to the deck, he called, "Wei Māma, we'll catch the East Indian Coastal Current soon. We need to sail as soon as possible!"

Madam Aulia entered the hold and took off the pouches hidden on her person. Returning, she handed over 6 oilskin covered pouches to Captain Sundar with a stern look.

"The Aquatic Realm has fulfilled its commitment to the Pandyan Emperor. Do I have your acknowledgement, or would you like to verify the stone count?"

Captain Sundar paled and saluted, right fist over his heart "No indeed, Gracious Madam, here is the Royal Seal of Acknowledgement." He handed over a scroll that Madam Aulia tucked into her oil skin.

Turning to Wei Ying, she smiled, her eyes bright and coy. "May fortune and fair winds favour you, Master Wei! And Hanguang Jun too, of course!" Giving Lan JingYi the side eye and with a friendly nod to Lan ShiZui, Madam Aulia swung nimbly off Wei Ying's dhony, on to her own.

Swinging into action, the Lankans prepared to generate wind and waves, while the Lans literally shooed the Pandyans off their vessel in their hurry to rescue their A'die!

"Phew, I thought they'd never leave!"

Lan JingYi's whine was met with guffaws all around. While M&M summoned a stiff breeze and a brisk set of waves to carry the dhony forward to the East Indian Coastal Current, Wei Ying went down into the hold.

Some strange unease had taken hold of him soon after Madam Aulia had left. First the Pandyan Navy, then the pirates. He was fed up of these obstacles in this chase of his Beloved.

******

Lan Zhan was empty. His need was deep, too strong and wild to be contained by his restraint. The knowledge that his Love was near shattered the vestiges of his self control. He was on edge, his breath coming in gasps and he could barely recognise himself. All he could do was think of was Wei Ying! His Wei Ying was coming.

His desire was a living thing, pulsating with each heartbeat. His need coursed through his veins, driving him to motion. He stood, began pacing the shell strewn beach. His emotions roiled: anger at the fates separating them, pain from being apart from Wei Ying, pent up need for his Love; this strangely powerful tug at his core to rush to his Soulmate, to hug him, hold him, wipe away his tears, wrap his lips around that stunning smile, crush that lithe body to his chest, lock his Wei Ying away in the fortress of his arms forever; but first, kiss him breathless, senseless! Oh, it was too much to bear... Lan Zhan's mind agitated, churning, seeking... Like a bolt of lightning, it struck him: what he could do to get Wei Ying here faster!