♔₁₃

CHAPTER THIRTEEN
❛  provisional licensing exam  ❜

THE CLASS OF 1-A stood before the National Dagoba Arena, preparing to take on the Provisional Licensing Exam. You had to admit, you were a bit nervous— extremely nervous, even. The crowds of students from rivaling schools made you wonder just what were you getting yourself into, and if you'd be able to take them on.

"If you can pass this test and get your provisional licenses, you'll be semi-pros. I expect nothing but your best. I believe in you all." Aizawa seemed to give the students a boost of confidence, including yourself. He wholeheartedly believed in all of his students. Although he was tough, he was a great role model for the class.

"Thanks, Mr. Aizawa!" Kirishima pumped his fist excitedly. "We'll go Plus—"

"ULTRA!!!"

The entirety of the class turned to face the unnecessarily loud voice, spotting a student from Shiketsu High. He was tall, his head was cleanly shaved, and he wore a big, bright smile.

"It's rude to barge into other people's conversation." His classmate commented in annoyance as he walked by. The student froze. He bowed immediately, his head slamming into the ground and taking you all by surprise.

"I'm extremely sorry!" He yelled apologetically. "I just wanted to say it once— Plus Ultra! I absolutely adore UA High School. I'm honored to compete against such incredible students!" It was awkward. You turned to face Mina, who looked just as confused as you. 'What a weirdo' She mouthed. You nodded in agreement.

As he was escorted away by a classmate, Aizawa spoke up. "Inasa Yoarashi. He's the same year as you all, and he's extremely strong. He received one of the top scores for students admitted through recommendations. For some reason, he turned down his acceptance to UA."

"Unbelievable ..." Midoriya whispered in admiration. He pulled out a small notebook, and began to write— and fast. Aizawa's introduction of the Shiketsu student left the class on edge once again, the newfound confidence disappearing into thin air. If there was someone as strong as him competing, who knows how many others there will be.

☆彡

"I'm either nervous, or this suit somehow got tighter ..." You pulled at the heat-resistant spandex that was your hero-suit. Within the auditorium stood hundreds of students, including yourself. You were all crammed together like sardines, awaiting the start of the licensing exam. A sigh escaped your lips. Your hero costume was nice, but you couldn't stand the feeling of the material, especially when you sweat.

"It looks good to me, (L/n). It hugs all the right spots..." You rolled your eyes at the short, purple pervert that stood beside you. It just had to be Mineta that you got stuck beside. Luckily, Uraraka was there to accompany you on the other side.

"Alright, let's start this thing ..." The announcer at the podium looked worn-out, struggling to keep their eyes open. "The name's Mera. I'm from the ... the Heroes Public Safety Commission. So, about the exam. It's 1540 examinees competing in a free-for-all exercise. The time between when an incident begins and when it's resolved is short. That's what you'll be tested on today. The first hundred students will pass, that's all."

"The first hundred?!" Jiro exclaimed nearby. You sweat-dropped. That's around 15%, an unbelievably low percentage! The crowd of students let their disapproval be known with loud gasps and groans. This competition was going to be fierce.

"Okay, okay, I get it. Anyways, you all were given three targets to place on your body, and you'll be hitting your opponents targets with these balls." The man held up a small, red ball. "Your objective is to, uh, get two people out. You'll be credited by hitting the last target on a person. It's simple." As if on cue, the building itself began to open, revealing the multiple terrains you were to be competing on. The violent rumbling took you by complete surprise.

"I'd suggest sticking to an environment that suites your quirk best. Or don't, whatever. I don't care. Pretty cool though, right? Hopefully you kids make this quick so I can sleep after this..." Your class began to huddle closer together, forming a protective circle against the nearby teams.

"It's best we stick together," Midoriya announced. "We'll fight as a group!" Unsurprisingly, Bakugo began to walk away from the group. Letting out an irritated groan, Kirishima followed after him. Denki followed shortly after. Midoriya called out for them, but to no avail.

"Sorry, I'm leaving too." Todoroki spoke as he jogged away. "I can't use my power safely with you all around. It's for the best."

"Unbelievable..." You sighed. Gesturing for the class to follow, Midoriya began to run ahead. Although you usually like to work alone, you know you'd have a better chance of succeeding along 1-A.

"We're at a disadvantage," He said between huffs, "Everyone already knows our quirks from the sports festival. If what I'm thinking is correct, we'll be swamped before we know it." As the countdown began, everyone began to panic. The slight confidence they once had began to transform into pure fear.

"Get ready!!" Iida screamed. "They're coming!!" Within seconds, dozens of students came at the group with full-force. Balls were hurdling from every direction. You had to act— and fast.

"Get back!!" You yelled, forming a funnel with your hands against your mouth. Hopefully, the ultimate move you have been perfecting is powerful enough to protect your classmates. Taking in a sharp breath, you spewed out large gusts of flames. The force of the attack sent a majority of the balls back toward the students, landing hits on a few targets. Luckily, you managed to get one student out using that attack.

"Amazing, (L/n)!" Midoriya beamed. The ultimate move was gaining much more control than before. You were proud of your progress. Midoriya then turned toward the students, his leg lighting up with power. "Full cowling!" The students of 1-A followed, throwing their own attacks toward the incoming students. Tremors began to vibrate through the ground, causing most students to become unstable on their feet. It must've been a students quirk. The terrain began falling apart, ripping you apart from your teammates. The chaos of the battlefield left many to part ways, leaving four 1-A students behind, including yourself.

"(L/n)!" Sero called from nearby. You reached out. His tape quickly shot out, wrapping itself around your waist. He pulled you in, protecting you from a flurry on oncoming balls that were headed your way. You all created a protective circle, which included Midoriya, Uraraka, and of course, Sero. Your only choice was to switch to the defensive, throwing bursts of fire toward the surrounding students. Midoriya did his best to protect Uraraka using the power of his quirk.

Leaning in, Sero began informing you. "Listen, Uraraka and I came up with a plan that'll for sure get us ahead in the game." He cupped your ear, whispering the details of the plan. Keeping that in mind, you nodded. Your job was to destroy the terrain, giving them what they needed to go through with their plan. Without hesitation, your previous attacks grew stronger, completely annihilating the surrounding terrain. The rivaling students began to lose their balance, some deciding it was best to flee the scene. Through the dust and debris, you could make out Uraraka using her quirk on the larger rocks. They began to float above the unsuspecting students. Wasting no time, Sero shot out pieces of tape, attaching them to the rocks.

"Now, Uraraka!" He yelled. Touching her hands together, the heavy rocks came hurdling down to the ground, the attached tape weighing down the nearby students. The amount of students captured was just enough for you all to pass the test. You all began to cheer. Midoriya was confused, yet thoroughly impressed.

"I had no idea you guys planned this." He smiled. "Thank you for sticking with me. We make a great team." Taking out the red balls, you all began to tap out the captured students."

"Come on, man. We need to pass, too!" One of the students cried. Sighing, you ignored him as you tapped him out, finally completing the first Provisional License Test alongside your friends. The next challenges were an exciting mystery that were soon to come.