Chapter 3

Emerald forest

The boys had made it to the top of a hill. A city was noticiable in the distance. That would've been a happy moment for them if it wasn't for the absence of their friend. From where they were standing it would take approximately 2 hours and thirty minutes to reach the city, but the 4 Germans were determined to get Tjaden back from whoever kidnapped him.

All of their food was gone. The last thing that they had was a chocolate bar that Kropp had with him. They decided to split the bar equally between the 4 of them. While walking they started wondering who where the kids they had encountered earlier. They had weapons on them so they had to be some sort of soldiers, but some of them seemed too young, and they had women with them so the idea of them being soldiers was discarded quickly. Another topic that they discussed was how to find them. They could be anywhere in the city.

Himelstoss seemed particularly interested in the vehicle that picked them up. He mentioned that if we could get one or the blueprint we could bring it back to Germany and copy it's design, and maybe win the war. None of them knew what that thing was and that worried them. To them it could be a new British invention, one that could bring such destruction and death, like the tank. They stopped talking about it once something else caught their attention.

Halfway through the walk, a roar was heard. The men looked to were the sound came from. In some bushes a glowing pair of red eyes was visible. The soldiers drew their rifles and aimed it at the eyes. Slowly a wolf-like creature emerged from the bushes. It looked angry, saliva was coming out of its mouth, and it was slowly approaching the the soldiers.

Kat: Nicht schießen, wenn es nicht zuerst angreift (Don't shoot unless it attacks first) said Kat in a serious tone

Himelstoss: Sind Sie sich da sicher? Wir könnten es jetzt einfach erschießen und uns den Ärger ersparen (Are you sure about that? We could just shoot it now and save ourselves the trouble) said Himelstoss, clearly scared

Seconds that felt like hours passed, all filled with tension. The soldiers were shaking with fear, their hands were shaking, making them unable to have a clear shot if the creature were to charge at them.

Without warning the creature lunged at them.

Kat: FEUER! (FIRE!)

In a meter of seconds, the creature was on the ground,not moving

Kropp: Nun, das war einfach (Well that was easy)

Just then six more wolf creature emerged from the same bushes.

Kat: Es ist noch nicht vorbei, Jungs (it's not over yet boys)

The Wolves charged at them, and the Germans fired back.

Kropp was focused on killing a wolf 6 meters away from him. He was so focused that he didn't notice that another one had sneaked up on him

Kropp heard growling coming from behind him, when he turned back he was tackled to the ground by one of the wolves.

The wolf was now on top of him ready to kill him. Thinking quickly he put his rifle between his face and the wolf. Those 2 inches of wood was the only thing preventing that thing from mauling him. Kropp wasn't strong enough to take on the wolf. Slowly his arms started giving up. The claws of the creature started going into his chest making poor Kropp scream in pain. The wolf was slowly coming closer to his face. Kropp not wanting to die a horrible death began to cry for help

Kropp: HILFE! (HELP!)

Kropp: BITTE HELFEN SIE MIR! (PLEASE HELP ME!)

His rifle wouldn't be able to resist much longer. Kropp closed his eyes and prepared for the worst, tears and mucus were coming out of his eyes and nose. Just when the rifle seemed like it was going to break, Kropp was able to push the wolf away from him. Opening his eyes, he saw the now dead wolf fade into dust. When he looked to his right, he saw Himelstoss aiming his rifle to were the wolf once laid. Himelstoss saved him, he couldn't believe it. The man that made their life impossible back at training camp had just saved him from a horrible death.