[E1] Chapter 13 - Seventeen Years Ago

Elizabeth sat at one crowded table among many at her Auntie Margaret's wedding. There had to be at least two hundred people in the room, and that wasn't counting those working. Her table included several second and third cousins, as well as her Mother and Auntie Julie.

Elizabeth had the impression by the way the two adults glared at the cousins every time they laughed or so much as made a joke, that they'd been positioned there as overseers to ensure minimal bad behaviour.

Drawing over her glass of Pepsi, Elizabeth watched the melting ice cubes circle around each other and reflected that it was about as exciting as anything else happening in her vicinity.

"You should get up and dance," her Mother said. "We didn't bring you here to sulk."

It was funny how she said 'we'. Father couldn't care less what any of his children did. He was already up at the bar, slobbering and barking loudly at the bartender whenever his glass was low on beer.

Aunt Margaret and new Uncle Bob had already danced their first dance. Both were back seated at their table now, red-faced and breathing heavily. Poor new Uncle Bob seemed like he might be on the verge of a heart attack.

But others were up dancing in their stead now, moving along to the fast-paced acoustic versions of pop songs.

"I hate dancing," Elizabeth said, folding her arms.

"You hate dancing?" Second Cousin Helen asked, aghast.

"But how can you hate dancing?" Third Cousin Victoria said.

"Well, it's all rather pointless, isn't it?" Elizabeth glanced over the table, hoping for some support from somewhere. "You pretend to like the bad music, then you get up and shuffle about in random directions until you're all tired and sweaty."

No support arrived from her second or third cousins, who were all equally perplexed.

Auntie Julie snorted. "There's more to it than that, sweetheart."

Mother pointed across the room. "Look, James Pearson's over there on his own. Why don't you ask him to dance?"

Elizabeth glanced over at the boy who was all suited up. His hair was curly and gelled and shiny at the top, and very short at the back and sides. He had been surrounded by people all night, at one of the busiest tables. Now he temporarily sat on his own, nursing something golden and fizzy in a tall glass flute.

"I barely even know James Pearson."

"Doesn't he go to your school?" Third Cousin Rebecca asked.

"He does, but we've never talked. I wouldn't even know what to say. Besides, isn't it more traditional for the gentleman to ask out the lady?" She didn't truly believe that, but it was a good reason for her to wiggle out of this uncomfortable situation.

"Usually," Mother admitted, "But I doubt anyone will pursue you with that sour look constantly plastered across your face."

Elizabeth glared and Mother threw up her hands as if to say that her point was perfectly demonstrated.

Auntie Julie leaned in and whispered conspiratorially to Elizabeth. "I'd get working on that Pearson boy as quickly as possible, if I were you. You know that his family own The Diamond Hotel and The Northland Bar?"

"And dozens of more businesses around the city," Mother said.

"His older brother, Aidan, was originally touted to succeed the empire, but I've heard he's a bit of an addict." Auntie Julie tapped her nose. "So get in with James and you may well be set for life."

"Is that why you married Uncle Greg? You wanted to get your hands on all that garage money?"

Auntie Julie was visibly shocked and at a loss for words.