[E1] Chapter 18 - Hannah Cole

In the morning, Hannah and her form class were taken through registration at lightning speed. Margaret Holden eventually asked what the rush was which prompted Miss Duddy to inform the class that their first lesson today, IT, was to be cancelled, as the entire school was to meet in the assembly hall to receive a talk.

This news was met by a flurry of groans and sighs, as IT was a popular class, because it was run by Ms Harrigan who pretty much let them do whatever they wanted on their computers.

Thus they all followed Miss Duddy down the corridors to the large room just opposite the reception area.

Hannah hadn't been in the assembly hall yet, but she judged by the nets at the sides, both on the ground and above, that this was also used as a PE hall.

Students filtered in until every pupil within Willow Wood Secondary School was crammed inside. There were hundreds of them, parsed out into lines, ordered with the youngest up front, descending until it was the oldest pupils at the back.

That meant that Hannah stood somewhere around the middle. As she relaxed with her hands in her blazer pockets, she noticed Alex, amid their own form class, blowing and bursting chewing gum bubbles.

Alex, noticing her, glanced over their shoulder and winked, before making a forward hand motion.

Hannah shook her head and mouthed the words. "I can't. I have to stick with my form class."

"Oh come on," Alex mouthed back. "Nobody will notice."

Hannah gazed along the line to the teachers and saw that her own form teacher, Miss Duddy, was locked into conversation with Alex's form teacher, Mr Davis.

She scampered over, causing several of the pupils in Alex's class to shift over and make room for her.

"So we didn't scare you away?" Alex asked.

"What do you mean?"

"Well, you're back for another day, aren't you?"

"I suppose I am." Hannah peered ahead. At the top of the hall was a raised platform with ropes and gymnastics equipment strewn across it. In front of all that were several chairs, none of which were occupied thus far. "Do you have any idea what this is all about?"

"It's something they usually do on the first week, as a welcome back," Alex said.

"Not on the first day?" Hannah said.

"It's something to do with wanting us to settle back into our routine before disrupting us."

"What do they say?"

"Nothing ever terribly interesting, I'm afraid."

Soon she would see for herself though, as a woman with white hair, wearing a navy suit, climbed the steps up onto the main stage.

"That's Principal Moran," Alex muttered.

"I see."

Principal Moran smiled wide as she surveyed the crowd who had all gone quiet. "Welcome to all our new pupils this year and to those joining us again, welcome back. You'll all be glad to know that I have many things on the agenda for today."

There were groans, mutters, and shuffling feet as she began to talk, at some length, about school spirit, always striving for excellence, always attempting to overcome the impossible, and sticking to the six pillars of success.

Hannah could almost feel her eyes going together as she fought against the overwhelming desire to sit.

When it appeared to be over, the entire room burst into applause, mostly it seemed due to the fact it was over and they were relieved to be getting on with things. Principal Moran however, accepted it as if she'd just won an Academy Award.

Everyone started to lift their backpacks when Principal Moran said, "There is just one more thing, before you go. I wanted to take this opportunity to introduce a new member of staff."

This did pique everyone's interest. The pupils gazed over at the row of teachers.

Obviously, to Hannah, they were all new members of staff. She only recalled a few names and barely recognised any of the faces, but it appeared that the other pupils couldn't identify the new person either, judging by their confused expressions.

"We are acutely aware that there are an increasing number of mental health issues, especially amongst young people."

"Took them long enough to notice," Alex muttered.

"Yeah. I thought I was giving out clear signals," someone said.

When they turned around, they saw Joe. He smiled broadly before slotting in next to them. "Stick and Jasmine are stuck in their classes. I tried to rescue them, but-"

"There's no escaping Turner's watchful eye," Alex said.

Joe nodded.

"Hiya," Hannah said to him.

"Hey," Joe said back to her, "So we didn't-"

"Scare me away?" She grinned. "Not quite yet."

"Quiet over there," barked a teacher with curly red hair.

They all immediately ducked under her line of vision to avoid being separated.

"It has long been a demand of both parents and faculty members that we do more, that we, as an educational institution, take an active role in the mental welfare of our students. Therefore, I am pleased to announce that we have begun our first phase in a long plan at addressing such concerns. So without further ado, could you all give a warm, Willow Wood welcome, for Counsellor Bradley."

A tall man stalked out from behind the curtain next to the gym equipment. He stood centre stage, next to Principal Moran, who was like a child by comparison. He had a wide, square jaw, speckled with stubble and wore a sports coat as well as thick-rimmed glasses. "Hello everyone," he said in a deep voice.

The girls, who'd been muttering before he spoke, now practically swooned.

Joe shook his head. "Unbelievable. I mean, he's not that handsome, is he?"

Alex shrugged. "He's not terrible looking."

Hannah, however, kept her mouth closed, she was growing red in the cheeks from the mere prospect of giving the question any kind of consideration.

"I will be taking private bookings through the school portal if any of you would like to chat. Your meetings will be totally confidential. You can arrange them before or after school, or during break or lunch. I'll be here an hour early and an hour late Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays. Otherwise, my door is always open."

A girl in front of them whispered a very inappropriate joke.

Hannah blushed furiously.

Alex shook their head. "The priorities of some people, honestly."

"It's crazy what some people will do for a handsome face," Hannah said.

"I'll say," Joe agreed.