[E1] Chapter 28 - Seventeen Years Ago

Elizabeth and Mark rushed out of the function room and into the large garden. Its pathways were trimmed by hedges running four metres high, making it impossible to see anything apart from what lay ahead. Multi-coloured lights were embedded into the bushes, beating in the deep shadows like the eyes of nocturnal predators.

One of the pathways which Mark led her down brought them to a fountain surrounded by benches.

Immediately and without warning, Mark ran into it, caring little if his expensive shoes and suit got soaked. Bemused, Elizabeth stood at the lip of it, observing him wading about like a child at the water park. Though, there was something oddly endearing about the display too.

"What are you waiting for?" He whipped his head around. "Come on in."

"It looks cold."

"Oh, it's bloody freezing," he agreed between chatters. "It's the optimum temperature to freeze up all those doubting voices swirling around in your head."

Elizabeth almost barked out a laugh. Who was this boy who spoke like a character from a novel or TV show? It was like he had learnt English from consuming quirky comedies, rather than speaking to real people.

But she was so sick of real people. Everything that she'd been raised to believe was 'real' and 'important' just felt artificial and arbitrary to her. So she'd give this a try instead.

She ran forward. Her big dress inflated as she plunged into the ice-cold water of the fountain.

"Oh no," she yelled as she felt its sting, "Oh no."

"Told you," he said and splashed her.

The icy beads of water stung her face and ran down her back. "Oh, you son of a-" She splashed him back so fiercely that he fell on his arse.

"Oh my God," he shouted.

"Serves you right," she said.

"It's like a thousand knives," he said in a voice different than his own.

"Did you just quote Titanic at me?"

"No. I quoted Titanic to you." He returned to his feet, grasped her hand, then gently led her from the water.

They traversed another winding path which brought them out of the garden to the base of a tall hill.

This was where the wedding photos had been taken this morning, when the sunrise had lit the sky a beautiful golden orange. Now it was dark and every star seemed to be visible. She could actually make sense of the constellations for once.

In the centre of the ocean of lights awaited the biggest moon she had ever seen. She recognised that that was only an illusion of perspective. The moon did not actually grow bigger or even draw closer, it only appeared that way when there was nothing to compare it against. But oft illusions evoked deeper and truer emotions than anything reality had to offer.

When she commented on it aloud, Mark said, "Pft, you're so easily impressed."

"I must be, if I could be wrangled out here by someone like you."

The words left her like bullets from a faulty gun. She put her hands to her mouth, horrified by what she'd just said. If she'd said that to any of the boys her Mother usually tried to set her up with-

Mark laughed. He laughed so hard he keeled over and had to clutch his sides. She was surprised to find that she loved the sound of it.

She laughed too.

Eventually, they climbed to the top of a hill which brought them to the edge of a cliff overlooking a wide ocean.

Mark stretched out his arms. "There you have it, my dear Elizabeth."