[E2] Chapter 8 - Marie Shadow

Robert's car returned about an hour later. Marie could hear the tires grinding against gravel. She hopped up from the sofa and went out the front door, emerging into the driveway.

Hannah was already standing there, with her arms wrapped about herself to guard against some of the cold night air.

Marie stared as Mum exited the car and hugged Robert tightly before thanking him for the lift.

"Oh, it was nothing, really, Elizabeth," he said as he assisted her up the driveway, like she was some old lady. "Just trying to be a decent neighbour, is all."

Marie felt a sickening churning in her gut at the sight of her Mother laughing at that. And it wasn't like he'd actually taken care of them. All he'd done was cook weird food and let them watch TV on his retro set. Big deal.

"Honestly, you're a life savour, maybe literally."

"Really, it's no problem at all," Robert said stiffly after glancing to Marie.

She hardened her stare.

As Mum approached, Hannah asked her, "Are you alright?"

"I am now. I just hate all of that hospital stuff." She placed a hand on Hannah's head before she lowered it down to her back. "Time to get you home." Then she glanced at Marie. "Both of you."

Always the afterthought, Marie thought as she trailed after Mother and her sister down Robert's driveway and up their own one.

For the whole walk, they chatted about their nights. Evidently, they'd both enjoyed the music immensely. How nice for them.

It was only after they waved goodbye to Robert and entered the coat room that Mum asked, "And you, Marie, how did your date go?"

"I told you, it wasn't a date."

Hannah shielded the lower half of her face with a coat, but the smile was clear in her eyes.

"Sorry," Mum said.

"And it was fine," Marie said. "My night was totally fine."

"Well, thanks for the juicy details," Hannah said.

Marie glowered at her.

After that, Hannah and Mum went into the kitchen to have a nighttime cup of lavender tea, whatever that meant.

Marie climbed up to her room then sank down into the middle of her bed. The creaky springs screamed at her in way of greeting. It was weird how comfortable, how at home she felt in this dingy bedroom tonight. Had the brainwashing finally taken effect? Was she officially becoming another crazed member of this town? Or was it just relief to be indoors and alone again, which was always a winning combination?

Yes, that was it, she was just glad to feel safe and to be in her own space.

But rather than reflecting on anything or trying to make sense of it, she did what she usually did before bed. She checked her laptop, expecting the usual, to receive nothing but radio silence in return from Rosemary.

Instead, she was assaulted by a flood of messages.

"Hey, missing you," the first one said.

The second one said, "Just been thinking about you and all the stuff we used to joke about. I keep glancing at your seat, expecting you to sit in it any second. I don't think it's properly sunken in yet that you're really gone. I can't wait to hear more about what adventures you're having over there."

Then there were more messages about events that'd happened in Ballyfield while she was gone, including all the drama from her old school.

After all of this, there was one final message that read, "Did I do something wrong?"