[E2] Chapter 2 - Callum Toner

It was still night when Callum entered Moonrise Manor.

He lingered in the coat room, hanging up his jacket as he reflected on all that he'd seen tonight. He had spilt the pieces of the puzzle out from the box, onto the floor, and was now trying to fit some of them together, but no matter how he ordered them, none appeared to belong with each other.

How was he supposed to sleep now? Perhaps he could go out into the training yard and put in a couple of hours. That always exhausted him enough to drift off.

He thought that he was alone in the Manor, that all the others were either soundly sleeping or entertaining themselves in their bedrooms, until a rat scurried past his foot. He wrenched his leg back and cursed, more in shock than disgust.

In a couple of seconds, its tiny legs popped, sprouting and growing in proportion to its body, as it transformed into a girl with a half-shaved head. The side that was shaved was decorated with intricate spiralling tattoos. The side with hair was dark and braided with colourful beads.

The girl that everyone knew as 'Felicity', for like many in the Manor, she had no surname or middle name, stood in the opposite corner. Her long Moon Coat was wrapped tightly about her person, slick from the rain. From within the hood, she wore a scowl that was an almost ever-present feature upon her olive face.

"Where were you?" she growled.

Somehow, although it previously seemed impossible, those tar pits that she called eyes appeared to darken.

"Out scouting for new talent," Callum said, throwing her a cheeky grin and wiping the hair away from his face. He was always having to do that. Such quirks bought him a lot of leeway with many people as they branded him a rogue, too lovable to remain angry at.

Felicity, however, was as immune to those charms as always. Her hands went to her hips. They actually did that. "Is that what they call it now?"

"Okay. I went to the concert by the pier, Officer."

"So you abandoned your post?"

"Nothing wrong with enjoying a party and blowing off some steam. You should try it sometime."

Felicity believed that every moment should be productive. Her idea of fun was getting up at dawn to do a HIIT workout or running thirteen miles. Her waking hours were all spent on study, nutrition, fitness, labour, or training. Even her sleep was calculated. She monitored herself each night to ensure she was receiving her optimal rest to continue performing at her peak.

"You blow off enough steam to power a small train," she said.

"Good one."

"I'm serious though. You need to run these things by me, Callum, if I'm to be your second in command."

"It was a spontaneous decision, if that helps."

"I was in my room. There was nothing to stop you from knocking at my door to let me know."

"I was afraid you'd talk me out of it," he said. Or ask too many blasted questions, he thought.

"Isn't that the entire purpose of my role?"

"I know, I know. I'm sorry, okay?"

She folded her arms about herself, giving no indication on whether the apology was accepted. "And you saw it while you were out?"

"Hm?"

"That thing in the sky."

He became as rigid as if she'd shot him in the arse with a freeze ray. "So that answers the question on whether you saw it too."

"It was hard to miss."

"Don't tell me you were up watching the fireworks? Did you actually take time to enjoy something?"

"I was studying. Gazing at the stars between problems allows my mind respite for the next one."

"Of course. Yeah. That's totally what I was doing too."

Doubt was etched heavily across her face. "Was it them then?"

"Who?"

"Jones and the others."

"What, those lurkers? I hardly think so."

"You said that he spoke about a weapon last year..."

"I know. But this was something else."

"I don't know whether that concerns me more or less."

"Yeah, I was trying to figure out that very thing on the way back home."

"Should we call a conference tomorrow and let everyone know the situation?"

Callum brushed his hair to the side. This time, it stuck in place. "I think that we should keep it quiet for now and pray that none of the others have noticed. Meanwhile, we'll just continue to relay the usual instruction."

"To remain within the Manor Grounds."

"And if they absolutely must venture into Willow Town, please do not stray anywhere near those damnable woods."

"And if you're keeping an eye on them, who's keeping an eye on you?"

Callum smirked. He pushed out of the coat room and emerged into the wide, spacious foyer. "Why, my dear Felicity, why do you think you're my second in command?"

Her strides were effortless to keep up with him. The woman was so damnably athletic. She had thighs like a gazelle. "So that's your game? You want me to babysit you?"

"No. I just want to have someone to rein me in. You see, in all great duos, you need the right brain and the left brain, the creative and the analytical."

"That's what you call your nonsense? Creativity?"

"Or flare or style. Whatever you prefer. You see, my dear Felicity, some people like orchestras. They like a plan. They like all the moving pieces to fit cohesively together under one unified vision. Me? I like jazz."

They paused in the middle of climbing the stairway. Felicity lowered her voice to a whisper, aware that they were drawing close to the bedrooms. "And did you see her again? The girl?"

"I spoke to her."

"You did what?" she hissed.

"I made a judgement call. And going by tonight, time is very much of the essence."

"Well, you'd better not scare her away. You know how important she is in all of this."

"Don't worry. It's only a matter of time before she falls for my dashing good looks."

Felicity gave a heavy sigh.