[E1] Chapter 16 - Elizabeth Cole

Elizabeth wandered into the back garden, cradling her glass of wine. She didn't know why she was so drawn to it, but it was lovely to be under the stars tonight.

They were so clear in Willow Town compared to any place she'd lived previously. Usually, cities were so full of light pollution that it obscured the natural sky. But here, she was able to see thousands and thousands of twinkling lights. She could even see the galaxy clusters.

Taking a long swig of wine, she enjoyed the complex, fruity explosion swirling around in her mouth, as much as she enjoyed the explosion of colour above.

"So are you giving up the smokes then?"

When she spun around, she saw that the voice belonged to Robert. He was sitting on his handcrafted bench. His acoustic guitar sat upon his lap, encased in his long arms.

"Just trying to swap one terrible habit for another." She held up her wine glass and saw the night sky reflected across its curved body.

"I once read a study that a glass of red wine a day is linked to longevity."

"Is that actually true?"

"Well, some people say it's an old wives tale, but-"

"No, I mean did you actually read a study?"

He shrugged. "It might have been an article."

"An academic article, I'm assuming?"

"Okay... so it might have been a video based on an article, but the young man seemed to really know what he was talking about." Robert tapped the body of his guitar like it was a drum. "The point is, I don't think it's terrible for you, so long as you show a bit of restraint."

Elizabeth smirked. "Oh, I have never been one for showing much restraint." Then, realising what she'd said, she suddenly blushed and cleared her throat.

Robert chuckled.

"I've not seen you about much lately," she said.

"Nor I you."

"I've been here and there. What about you? Been busy?"

He nodded. "Extremely. The Lost Treasure only gets crazier and crazier in the run up to you-know-what."

"I see."

"I've also been working on new material."

"Care to share any of it?"

He held up an index finger. "Once its ready, and only then. The raw materials always belong to me, but I promise your ears will be the first to hear the finished product, after my band-mates of course."

"I look forward to it." She sighed and gazed at the stars. They reminded her of when her Aunt Lilian used to take her on camping trips in the mountains. Auntie Lilian was her father's younger sister, and one of the few good people in her family. Elizabeth and her cousin Michaela, who was Lilian's daughter, used to make shapes out of the patterns of the stars. Auntie Lilian would tell them stories of the shapes.

But Auntie Lilian passed away in her late thirties. Bowel cancer. It was often the way of the world, it appeared. The good died young, while the cruel lingered on.

Robert strummed lightly. "So what's on your mind, Elizabeth? You seem... contemplative."

"Do I?" She quirked her upper lip. "I guess I've been reflecting on the nature of time and mortality a lot lately."

"Oh. How fun."

She laughed. "Yeah. It probably stems from seeing the kids getting older. I know I won't have them around for much longer."

"But you're still so young. You could still start over once they leave the nest."

"Start over with what though? That's the question."

"So you're missing a purpose?"

"I have my job and my research, but those have always felt like side gigs to the main event, which was keeping my girls safe. And now they're out and doing things."

"You make it sound like they're up to trouble."

Elizabeth shook her head. "Nothing like that, thank goodness. It's just that they're both looking to go down to a party down by the pier. On Friday."

"Shriekfest?" Robert asked.

"That's the one."

"Get used to it. There'll be a dozen more like it, with each being bigger than the last, until the big climax on Halloween. There'll be parades, fireworks, concerts, parties, everywhere."

"It really is a special breed of nutty here, isn't it?"

"Oh, we're one of a kind."

"And..." Elizabeth sipped her wine again and considered, before shaking her head. "No, never mind. It's a selfish thought."

"Share it anyway. We're all a little bit selfish. It'll do you some good to voice it instead of letting the idea take root in your head."

"It's just that my daughters are going out, being social, and I'll be stuck at home. I've never really had much of a social life. It sounds pathetic, but I think I might be a little jealous."

Robert's smile was broad. "Oh, so you want to party too?"

Elizabeth gazed out at her garden. Sometimes she thought she saw things, here and there, but such were the consequences of having an active imagination, she supposed. That's what her Mother always used to say. 'That's your problem, Lizzy, your imagination is too wild. Your head is always stuck in the clouds instead of reality, where it's supposed to be.'

"It just so happens that The Manic Hares are playing that night too."

"Oh, really?"

"And who knows? Some of the new material just might be ready by then."

"Do you think it'll be busy?"

"Oh, absolutely. Any that don't get to the concert will want somewhere else to drink. There are lots of options in this city, of course, but I'm expecting the biggest crowd of the year so far."

"Maybe I could be tempted to stop by."

Robert strummed his guitar and sang the next words. "I'll look out for you, Elizabeth."