[E1] Chapter 19 - Marie Shadow

On Friday afternoon, Riley, Deja, Curtis, and Marie all met up and went to the cafeteria together to get their lunch. Marie could hardly believe that she'd almost survived a full week at Willow Wood Secondary School. Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday had all gone by in a blur.

After retrieving their trays which housed a serving of homemade chips, a slice of pizza, and a tub of strawberry, chocolate, or banana pudding, they scuttled past Katie Burke's table.

They received the traditional glares from Shauna Holmes and Jeanette Dalton, but the most scorn came from Katie herself. It was as if her eyes were on fire. Were she in a cartoon, no doubt steam would be whistling out of her ears.

Thus far, that was about as bad as it'd gotten in terms of revenge. It was all horrible stares and snide comments.

"If that's all she's got," Marie had declared during Wednesday lunch, "I can't see why she justifies this reputation. It's pretty easy to ignore."

"Just be wary," Curtis had advised her on that same lunch. "Katie is as patient as she is cruel."

"Amen," Riley said.

They had barely settled down when Ryan Quick, living up to his surname, parked himself down in the seat next to Marie. He'd been doing this all week, splitting his time between their table and Katie's, like some beloved child torn between two ends of a bitter custody battle.

"Pizza isn't too bad today," Deja remarked upon trying a small bite.

"Yeah," Curtis agreed, "I actually think I got a few shreds of cheese on my slice. At least, I hope that's cheese."

"And I swear, they're using less cardboard in the recipe," Deja added.

"First Pizza Friday of the year," Riley said. "They must be pulling out all the stops."

"At least the chips look good?" Marie offered.

"Don't let looks be deceiving," Ryan said. "They use the cheap potatoes that never quite cook all the way through."

Marie veered around to him, acting as if she'd only now become aware of his presence. "I see we are granted the pleasure of your company today."

"Yesterday you were nowhere to be seen," Deja muttered.

Ryan shrugged. "What can I say? I'm a busy man. It's hard when so many people set so many demands on your time."

"Yeah, I can definitely relate," Curtis said, glancing side to side.

Marie had challenged him on his behaviour before. Yesterday, after school, when he'd offered to walk her all the way from the front door to her bus stop, she'd said to him, "Don't you find it odd or even slightly hypocritical to take both sides in this feud?"

But, he had explained, that the way he saw it, he was simply being a builder of bridges. He saw no reason why they should be opposed. "All I want is peace," he'd said, "Can you blame a guy?"

It was clear, though, that Katie disagreed. She'd taken the insult to her pride directly to heart.

Good thing too, Marie thought. Lots of people attending this school were in need of some humble pie.

Riley sat her knife and fork down and rolled them back into her napkin. She'd been using the utensils to eat her pizza. So damned polite. "Right, onto business then. Does everybody have their costume sorted out for tonight?"

"Costume?" Marie asked, "But I thought it was just a concert. Do we really have to dress up for this thing?"

There was a pause around the table, as if she'd just uttered something in an alien language.

"Of course," Curtis said.

"But doesn't that detract from Halloween, if we're dressing up for all the parties in the build-up?"

"Well," Riley explained, "Traditionally you're supposed to use your best costume for Halloween night. It's the big climax. Before that, you have a few that you cycle through and reuse."

"Oh," Marie said, feeling slightly overwhelmed.

"Just keep it simple for things like this," Curtis advised, "A mask or a bit of face paint is more than enough."

"Well, I don't have anything in reserve," Marie said, "And I'm not really creative enough to make anything. At least not on short notice."

"We probably should have given you more warning," Riley conceded.

"Relax," Deja said. "There are costume stores all over Willow Town."

"We were actually planning to go in and pick a few things up," Riley said. "So if you want to come out with us, you might find something."

"Right, out into town." Marie nodded. "I'll let my Mum know."

Curtis leaned on the table, resting his cheek against his hand in an effort to appear either cool or chilled out. "And will you be joining us, Mr Quick?"

Ryan shrugged. "If I'm invited, I will. I have nothing else planned before this evening."

"Oh, you're always invited in my book," Curtis said.

Marie raised an eyebrow.

Curtis cleared his throat, perhaps realising that he'd come on a touch too strong.

Maybe Marie was still undecided on whether or not Ryan was her type, but he clearly ticked a lot of boxes for Curtis.

"Are you excited?" Riley asked Marie.

"You know what, as much as I hate to admit it, I actually can't wait."