XXIII. Tears of Pain, Love and Past

T H I R D    P E R S O N    PO V

These hideous beings have a demon-like appearance, but they resemble a cross between dogs and bats. It menacingly stares at us as if it were a hungry beast waiting for its prey, its bright red eyes glowing against the darkness. Chanel took a deep breath and began taking a cautious step back.

Their leader made its entrance, standing proudly in the middle as if it stood a chance of winning against the three gods.

The atmosphere is swarming with an invisible tension. Any moment from now, the forest would be engulfed in flesh and blood. Under the heap of dead, only the strongest would remain standing.

"Let's finish this." Dionysus muttered, eyes burning with passion to win.

In a split second, thick, rusty blood splashed out of the creatures' bodies as the three gods swung their weapons at anyone who came in their way. The demonic creatures were screaming and screeching as the ground became slippery with sludge and a vile smell rose up from it.

"There are still many of them!" noticed Hermes, slashing another creature's neck without hesitation.

"Why do they keep multiplying?" sounding alarmed, he nearly felt one of the sharp claws pierce his heart.

Apollo, who's entire face showered with blood, keeping his eye on the leader. Its where all the creatures came from. "As long as their superior is alive, they won't run out. We have to kill it first then finish these ugly bastards." 

He turned around and a huge glowing golden orb came out from his hands. It is bigger and sturdier than the previous one. Apollo incarcerate Chanel inside the glowing orb in order to protect the young girl from danger.

"Hermes, target changed. Kill the superior!" yelled Apollo to his comrade.

Receiving the message clearly, Hermes turned his attention to the target as he felt his power running through every fiber of his veins. Apollo prepared to fire while aiming his arrow. With all of his strength, he released it; Hermes caught it in mid-air, charged through the superior, and pierced the arrow directly on its chest.

A smug look appeared on Hermes' face while the creature was twitching in pain.

"How 'ya like that huh?"

However, the wound completely healed itself within the few seconds that wiped off the God's victorious smile.

"What the—"

The gargoyle-like creature appeared to have grown stronger and more vicious than before. How come it didn't die after being penetrated by Apollo's arrow?

"H-how did you surviv—"

He did not have the chance to finish the sentence when the superior shoved him on the chest, sending him flying across the forest and hitting his back on the huge tree.