Lily

I got a call from Ricky that night, he wanted to meet me so I snuck out, I parked my bicycle on his driveway and there he was already sitting on his porch waiting for me, he looked so gloomy in his washed up jeans, a navy blue hoodie and his signature green vans, his brown curly mop of hair covering his face, the usual bounce in it was missing.

"Hey Rick is everything alright? You seemed a little upset on call".
"I kissed her!" he blurted out, "you did what?", I hope he's talking about someone else because EJ is gonna be broken. I know what it's like to be cheated on and I don't want him to go through that.
"We were talking after rehearsals and one thing led to another and I kissed her" he had his head hanging low like he was ashamed of what he had done.
"what happened after that", "Ricky?"  He raised his had and I saw his face he had teary eyes and red cheeks,he was a mess.
"She was about to kiss me back, but my phone rang because big red was calling me, she walked away without saying a word, I've texted her multiple times I even left her a voice mail, I haven't gotten a reply".
You won't I thought, since EJ had her phone, which also means EJ knows.
"Lola I think I messed up big time" he looked towards me with glossy eyes, " I can't lose her Lola, what should I do".
"Ricky, first off she needs to come clean to her boyfriend, then you guys can discuss what you want to do, in my opinion I think you seriously need start focusing on yourself I mean you're miserable, you always feel like you don't belong in theater, when you totally do, you quit theater for her and now you're kissing, you guys need to clear your heads before you jump back into a relationship again sort things out within yourselves before you reach out to each other ok? Maybe take a break ? I know what she means to you, but right now you need to focus on yourself and not on her and this drama that has unfolded, it could hurt a lot of people includingthe two of you".
He wiped away his tears and took a deep breath and I wasn't ready for what came next.

"You know what this was a mistake, I should have called big red, your clearly jealous of her because I like her more than you that's why you don't want me to get back with her, what's your problem Lila why do you not want me to be happy".

I stood there in shock, yes! yes I was jealous of Nini Salazar-Roberts because she has the one thing that I  have always wanted,  but I would never do anything to upset Ricky, theater is supposed to be good for him, but all he does his talk about Nini. He feels like he doesn't belong there.

She has managed to take two of my favorite people away from me without even trying. I rode back home in tears that night, my vision was blurry but I made my way home safely.

As I open the door I spot my mom on the couch with bottle of wine, here we go again.
"Where were you?" She asked in a low voice, at this point I was shivering, "where have you been, ha ! With your dad? With that sorry excuse of a man? Is that where you were, did he tell you to sneak out?".
"No mom" I said in between my sobs, "mom I promise I was at Ricky's he needed some help".
"Shut up you liar" she yelled and with that she fell on the floor.
I ran up to my room tears streaming down my face, I fell on the bed face down sobbing into the sheet.

A few minutes later I heard my moms bedroom door shut, she must have gone to bed. I walked towards my bag to get my sketch book, I need to get my emotions out on paper, that's when I noticed EJs Jacket in my bag it was neatly folded just like I had placed it, I had forgotten to return it.
I put my hands through the sleeves and wore it on my shoulders, I inhaled his scent, a faint smile appeared on my face and a determined look in my eyes.
I took my phone and wallet and turned towards the window I jumped out into the driveway took my bike and rode towards the lake.
I don't care that it's almost midnight, but I really need to go there.

I made it towards the woods when I saw a familiar car parked, I walked towards the clearing leading to the lake and there he was with his feet in the water.
I walked towards him and took a seat besides him, he turned towards me and gave me a faint smile to acknowledge my presence.

I place my feet into the now cold water, a shiver escapes my lips.
"I'm sorry! I know what I did was wrong but I'm just trying to save my relationship. I can't lose.."
"Nini, Ya I know" I finished his sentence.

He turned towards me examining my face while I stared at the huge clearing ahead of us, "What happened between you and Nini?"  he asked.
"Uhmm keepthis between us ok?" he nodded in a yes "I don't share much about myself with people, I find it really difficult to trust people. Ricky, Big Red and Ashlyn are the only people who know me well. But there's something I couldn't share with them either and I trusted Nini with it".
"So did she tell other people?" he asked clearly intrigued, "Uhm no it's much more complicated than that" I said sighing.
EJ raised his hand to cup my cheeks, I looked up into his eyes went I felt the warmth of his hand caressing my face and I saw worry, he was worried about me, " Have  you been crying LJ?" He asked in a low whisper.

"Ya, but I'm fine now" I could see he wasn't convinced, I placed my hand over his hand on my cheek..."I promise Eej"
"Then tell me, what happend" he insisted, I told EJ about everything that happened with Ricky and with my Mom.

"I'm sorry you had to go through that LJ,  your not second best, You are really important to Ricky I see it, He's just caught up with Nini right now and eventually he'll realize what a douche he has been. Honestly I dislike him not only because he stole my girlfriend, but I feel he's really stupid to neglect you......Uhm if you don't mind me asking, Do you like him?"
"Nooooo Richard and me never, its just that he's always been there you know, since we were babies in diapers crawling across the lawn, he's like my little brother he's very protective of me" I said wiping my tears.
" Lj you are special, and you shouldnt need any one to tell you that, and if someone doesn't see that it's their fault, and you are nothing like your dad, you're honest, you're loyal, he wasn't and I'm pretty sure he didn't look like an Angel" Ej said chuckling making me laugh too.

"Thanks Eej you always know what to say" he returned a warm smile.
"Eej I know about Ricky and Nini" I said, I wanted him to share feelings with me I know he's hurt, " I mean we all saw it coming didn't we?" He said faking a smile and hanging his head low.

"So I look like an angel ha?" I asked trying to tease him, to his mind off the topic.
"Yep the prettiest one, especially in that jacket" he said pointing towards his Letterman Jacket that I had been wearing.
"Oh im so sorry I forgot to return it I was supposed..." I began taking it off.
"Keep it, it looks better on you" he replied placing it back on my shoulders.
I smiled at him and released a breath I didn't know I was holding, just being here with him made everything better, but I knew that I couldn't have this forever. So, I lay my head on his shoulder and he intertwined our fingers as we sat there in silence, hoping time would stop right there so I never had to back to the real world.

EJ and I sat in silence as he drove me back that night, on our drive back I realized the lake had sort of become a symbol of home for us, we felt betrayed by our closest people and unwelcome at our respective home's, but the lake it was the only place where we felt at peace.

I jumped out of the car ready to walk towards the door after saying goodbye to EJ, when he called me "LJ!"
I turned around to face him, "Yeah Eej?"
"Here I got this for you, it's a thank you for showing me the lake, I plucked it out when I got there, because, it reminds me of you." He placed a beautiful white Lily in my hand.

"Goodnight Lily" he said and my face light up like a Christmas tree, it's what my parents and grand parents called me when I was a little girl, back when we were a happy family.

"Good night Loverboy " I replied.

Next : I just want to watch you...

Author's Note: EJ and Lila seem to be getting closer, but while Lila is holding herself back because of the promise she made to her bestfriend, EJ thinks he doesn't deserve Lila and could ruin their friendship.

Thank you for reading !!

Lots of Love
LilaJane02