𝗳𝗶𝘃𝗲; i loved him.

"Who taught you about flowers and herbs?" asked Enola. "My father." Annette answered. "I never really knew my father." Enola said. "My father's dead too." They stared at eachother in silence. "I'm sorry." They said in simultaneously. Annette smiled softly.

"Why have you run? From home, I mean." Annette asked, curiously. "I didn't want to go to Miss Harrison's Finishing School for Young Ladies." Enola's response made Annie cackles. "Why have you?" She craned her neck.

"Well," Annie sigh, "Last week, um, a tree branch broke above me whilst I was collecting wild mushrooms. It should have crushed me, but I managed to roll out of the way, and I realized," She stopped, looking at Enola. Enola raised her brows, "What?" "You'll laugh at me." Annette pursed her lips nervously. "I won't." Enola shake her head. Annette stared at her fiddling fingers, thinking if she's gonna tell Enola or not,

"My life seemed to flash before me. I was just about to take my seat in the House of Lords. I know, I know, I'm a lady. But, I'm the only woman of my mother's child. I don't have brothers to take my role as the Lord. I had these ideas about how we might progress the estate. But my family were set on me married a noble man, living in a rich mansion house and having children, just like my first aunt. And I realized I was scared. I don't want to get married, or engaged at all. Even if I loved him, the noble man."

"But do you love him?" asked Enola.

"What?"

"The noble man.. do you love him?"

"I've loved him, Enola. Every minutes of my life, every second. I loved him. I'm afraid if I get to face him again, I will fall in love with him for the second time. And I don't want that. I want to marry him, when I'm ready. I loved him, I cared for him. He already asked me by the way. To be his wife, to be his one who would take care of him and his family. But I refused, I said no. Why would I say no, when I know I loved him. Ugh, that is so pathetic and coward of me." 

Annette turned to look at Enola, "Why would I laugh at that?" Enola softly smiled. "Don't I sound pathetic?" "No." She answers in an instant, shaking her head.

"What was his name? The man you were engaged to?"

"Romeo. Romeo Joseph."

"When are you getting engaged?"

Annette inhale sharply, "Today."

Enola was taken back, her heart sink, "Why were they going to send you to the finishing school?"

Enola sigh, "In the morning, we'll have to move fast. The bowler hat man will be hot on your tail--"

"Where's your destination? I'm going to--"

"London." Enola's eyes trailed from Annette's eyes down her lips.

Annie chuckled, "Well, then, shall we, um, stick together?" asked Annette, her hope high for the girl. "If you like." She slightly chuckles.

Enola's gaze softened, then, "No." She snapped, glaring at her. Of course, how could she forget the Holmes gut.

Annette scoffed, "Just because you're my friend, don't think I'll forget that you're still a jerk."

"Annie, we'll get to London and go our separate ways. Understood?" said Enola, firmly before laying down on her side, back facing Annie. 

Annette inhales sharply, staring at the girl, "Understood." She cleared her throat, laying down, copying Enola's action.

"Totally." spoke Annette, sarcastically.

••

"Up, up, good morning, Viscountess Annette Tewkesbury, Marquise of Basilweather." Annette awoke, upon hearing Enola's voice.

She groaned, "Ugh, what's so good about it." Enola hummed, "I suppose there's some truth in there."

"Remember, Annette. We'll have to move fast. It's-" She took a quick glance at her wristwatch, "6:30." Annette stares at the girl that hovered her body in disbelief and annoyance. "Seriously? It's 6:30?"

"When I say we'll have to move early, I mean we'll have to move early."

Annette rolled her eyes as her lips mocked Enola's words. After Enola and her were ready, the next thing she knew is;

She's on a carriage of sheeps. Is that what they called? A carriage of sheeps? Annette will never know.

"Well, you would say that." The sheep bleat as Enola and Annette laughs. They soon arrived at the city of London. The carriage came to a stop and Enola hopped off.

"Oh so this is where we apart?" asked Annette, slightly disappointed. "It is." Enola brushed her suit and pants. Annette nodded, feeling her heart sink suddenly. "Then, thank you, Enola Holmes. For helping me."

Enola smiled warmly, "You're supposed to forgotten that name." She affirmed. "Then you have to find another." Annette inhales, as the carriage began to move again. Enola's figure starting to get smaller, the further the carriage goes. Annette was slightly disappointed she has to separate from her friend.

'Now, what to do?' she thought.