xv. in the stars

"I love you, my sister."

They landed at Crissy Field after nightfall.

As soon as Dr. Chase stepped out of his Sopwith Camel, Annabeth ran to him and gave him a huge hug. "Dad! You flew... you shot... oh my gods! That was the most amazing thing I've ever seen!"

Cassandra kept holding Zoe's hand, never letting go. She was distracting Zoe from the wounds Artemis was tending. "I'm sorry Zoe. It's all my fault" She whispered to the girl.

"It is not thy fault. I... I knew what would happen" Zoe croaked. "I am... sorry, Cassie. I did not want... thee to see me like this."

Cassandra went to wipe her tears but decided to let them fall. "That's why you didn't want me to come" She realized squeezing the girls hand.

"Yes" She said quietly.

"I'm sorry I got mad at you. All the times we fought. I just wish we had more time" Cassandra said.

"We... we have had a millennia. It... it is time"She said sadly, but with a small smile.

"I'm going to miss you so much, Zoe. You're my best friend" The blonde said "No. You're my sister."

"Sisters" Zoe confirmed sounding like her mind was in another place.

"How can I lead the hunters without you?" She asked he voice breaking slightly.

"They will be left in good hands. I... believe in thee" She told her.

"Annabeth, Percy" Thalia called. Her voice was urgent. Artemis had finished binding Zoe's wound, but blood was seeping through quickly. Thalia was keeping constant pressure on it.

There was nothing any of them could do. They had no ambrosia or nectar. No regular medicine would do any good. And even though it was dark, Zoe was shivering, and the faint glow that usually hung around her was fading.

"Can't you heal her with magic?" Percy asked Artemis. "I mean... you're a goddess."

Artemis looked troubled. "Life is a fragile thing, Percy. If the Fates will the string to be cut, there is little I can do. But I can try."

She tried to set her hand on Zoe's side, but she gripped he wrist. She looked into both the goddess's eyes and Cassandra's and an understanding passed between the three of them.

"Have I... served thee well?" Zoe whispered.

"With great honor," Artemis said softly. "The finest of my attendants."

Zoe's face relaxed. "Rest. At last."

"I can try to heal the poison, my brave one."

But Cassandra knew that it wasn't the poison killing her. It was her father's final blow. Her and Zoe had known all along that the Oracle's prophecy was about her. She would perish by a parent's hand. And yet she had gone on the quest anyway.

She looked at Thalia and took her hand.

"I'm sorry we argued" Zoe said. "We could have been sisters."

"It's my fault" Thalia said, blinking hard. "You were right about Luke, about heroes, men—everything."

"Perhaps not all men" Zoe murmured. She smiled weakly at Percy. "Do you still have the sword, Percy?"

Percy couldn't speak, but he brought out Riptide and put the pen in her hand. She grasped in contentedly. "You spoke the truth, Percy Jackson. You are nothing like... like Hercules. I am honored that you carry this sword."

She turned back to Cassandra staring into her eyes. "You have been the greatest sister I could ask for. I know thee will be ok without me. Don't shut people out. Let them in. You will make the right choice." A tear dropped onto the grass from Cassandra's face.