Poison For Dinner (Part 3)

Next Day

        The next day, I woke up from my bed. I barely slept. I have so many things to do before the dinner party. Tomorrow I will be getting rid of the people that were never there for me. They were friendly to my face, but they never cared for me. Backstabbers.

         I know they probably laughed and snickered behind my back. Laughing at my pain. The pain they caused.

        Before I give back some of the pain that they cause me, I need a dress for tomorrow night's dinner. I hurried out of bed and quickly got ready for the day. I put on my favorite green and white dress. My hair is still frizzy from last night's bath. I put my hair up in a simple bun. Then, I walked downstairs and grabbed my purse with Mr. North's money in it, not much money but just enough for the coachman for the carriage ride and back to the dress shop and back home.

      After getting ready, I grabbed Mrs. North's purse and went through it. With Mrs. North's money, I can buy a new dress and money for a coachman for the carriage ride into the city tomorrow for the dinner party.

      I need to get there at the hotel before anyone does. I want to make sure everything is perfect.

***

          Grabbed my purse with the money in it and walked out of the house. I walked to the street, then I waved my hand when I saw an empty carriage go by, on the other side of the street. The coachman saw me and stopped the carriage for me to get in.

    I walked across the street and said to the coachman, "The dress shop on 5th, and Stewart street."
"Yes, ma'am."

          I got into the carriage and then the coachman drove the carriage to the dress shop. After a few minutes we arrived.

Mrs. Youth's Boutique

Small, petite woman in her late 40s with short brown hair and big glasses. Walk up to me, "Can I help you?"

"I need a dress for tomorrow."
"Any dress design or price?" She straightened her glasses, "Haven't I seen you before?"
"Yes, but I haven't been in this dress shop in years."

"Welcome back." She smiled.
"Thank you." I paused and looked around, "Do I need a dress in red or black. With the price under four hundred dollars. I really need one for tomorrow. I don't have time to make any changes."

"Yes, I have a new dress that came in." Acting nervously, "A little different from what I normally sell. Someone put money down on it and they changed their mind last minute. I don't think I can sell it with my usual dresses."

"Can I still take a look at it?"
"Yes, one moment, please."

      She walked out of the room and walked into a room behind the counter. I walked around the shop looking at the dresses, petticoats, corsets, gloves. Everything was laid out perfectly in order. From color to order, you put them on.

        After a few minutes, she came back with a green and white stripe box. The box does look like a box from around here. Maybe from somewhere else.

        She lifted the top of the box to reveal the dress. The dress is a champagne red dress.

"It's from France. I got an old friend of mine to design the dress."

She removed the dress out of the box to see the details of the dress. Dress in champagne red and ecru white lace, composed of a bustier and a skirt.

"You can see, the bustier is structured with whales inside."
"Yes, very nice." I smiled.
"You can add a brooch, bow to it if you desire."