Chapter 10

Nikita storms away from the tea house and walks through the lantern lit streets of Kyoto. Thinking to himself about how long it has been since he was happy there.

"Why did I even bother returning?" He asks aloud and takes the hairpin out, tossing it on the ground. Nikita stomps on the fragile piece breaking it into tiny scraps of metal.

"That is it. Tonight I'm leaving and I don't want to return to this wretched place ever again." He hisses and storms down the street, his long hair flowing in the fall breeze.

Heisuke wakes with a start and holds his chest, looking over at Huiyin curiously. He gently brushes a stray piece of hair out of her face. This is enough to have her stirring and glancing up at him, she sits up quickly asking.

"How are you feeling?!" She looks him over carefully and Heisuke beams at her.

"I am feeling fantastic! Where is Nikita? Is he alright?" He asks, once the boy's name left his mouth the room got silent and the air hung heavy. Huiyin replies.

"After he brought you back all mangled up. I yelled at him and he didn't want to listen to reason. So, he left..." Heisuke's expression changes quite a few times before he purses his lips, saying.

"I see. You know, I was just beginning to get used to having him around. Don't get me wrong. Nao-Chan is amazing, but a son. It's just a different feeling. On the scale of understanding or relate-ability. I'm going to go find him."

Before Huiyin can even reach out to stop him he was already gone.

Naomi wakes up with Takahashi practically crushing her under his weight. She groans and pushes him away, rolling out of the futon out of breath. Takahashi wakes a little, propping himself up on one of his arms as he runs his eye.

"Hmm? What is it?" He asks sleepily. Naomi raises an eyebrow and says.

"Nothing really, you just almost suffocated me." Her tone very nonchalant. Takahashi wakes up all of the way after hearing that, his face turning beet red as he stammers out an apology.

"R-Really?! Nao-Chan, I'm so sorry." He looks her over with a pout stuck on his lips. She just laughs it off and stands up stretching.

"Anyways, shouldn't we be helping to open the tea house? Dad got injured last night while out with Nikita." Takahashi tilts his head and asks.

"Will he be okay?" Naomi just nods and heads out of the room to go dress in her kimono. Takahashi sighs and rolls out of the futon, getting ready for the day.

Nikita sits outside of a dumpling shop and summons one of his men. The demon stands at attention before him and Nikita leans back in his spot, asking.

"Is there anything that I should be aware of?" He looks up, his oddly colored eye piercing through the being. The demon tries to ignore the rage that is filling his eyes and he replies.

"There is nothing to report yet sir." Nikita waved him off and says.

"You are dismissed then." The man vanishes and soon a familiar voice is calling out to him.

"Nikita, there you are." Nikita looks over at Heisuke, quirking his brow.

"What are you doing out walking around dad? Shouldn't you be at home resting." Heisuke shrugs and says.

"That attack was nothing. Just a mere scratch. Now come on, let's go home." He extends his hand towards Nikita, who just stares blankly at it for a while. He looks between his father's hand and face a few times before sighing and standing up without his aid. He turns his back to Heisuke and replies coldly.

"Don't take this the wrong way, but I hope I never see any of you ever again." He turns his head slightly to glare at him, his fists balling up at his sides. Heisuke freezes and looks at his son, feeling a strong sense of déjà vu wash over him. He shakes away the flashback and grabs onto Nikita's forearm tightly, asking.

"What about Kokoro?" Nikita grits his teeth and replies.

"Why don't you ask him? He hates me dad, because I have an awful personality and I wonder how that came to be." He turns to glare right into Heisuke's eyes and that sense of déjà vu returns. This look, it is the same glare that Heisuke gave his father before he went off on his last mission as a human.

Nikita tries backing away, but Heisuke pulls him into a hug holding Nikita's head against his shoulder. Now Nikita is in full blown shock, trying to pull out of the hug. Instead Heisuke mutters.

"Nikita please. Just come back to the tea house. We will learn from each others mistakes... promise me."

The younger man just stands stiff, unable to convey his emotions and before he knows it tears begin to pool in his eyes.

Huiyin serves customers with the help of Naomi and Takahashi is sitting by observing. They continue to work together, but soon the working harmony was broken by the return of Heisuke and Nikita. Huiyin turns to them and crosses her arms over her chest, a look of slight disapproval apparent. Heisuke gestures at her to follow them.  She sighs and leaves the work to Naomi and Takahashi.

Heisuke looks at Nikita who bows deeply towards Huiyin, beginning to apologize.

"Mother, I am sorry for my disruptive behavior please let me stay her and learn from father. I want to improve myself... I want to be someone that has the right to date Kokoro." Huiyin's jaw almost drops, but she manages to keep her aloof expression. She opens her hand fan and gently moves it, replying.

"Fine, but you will need to help out in the tea house like your sister. You should be able to dress up like a girl and serve customers easily enough." A sly grin spreads across her lips and Nikita stands up confidently, replying.

"Of course I can! What kind of being do you take me for?" He snaps his fingers and his appearance changes just slightly, but he looks more feminine. Both of his parents look at him shocked and he beams.

"Well, what are we standing around for? Let's head to work!" He says and skips off into the tea house. Huiyin and Heisuke exchange glances, a bright smile on Heisuke's face and he says.

"See. He can be a good guy, but he just needs more guidance. I mean he has been away for what? A half a century now?" Huiyin nods and says

"I am willing to give him a second change, but if he messes up again.." Heisuke kisses her cheek and says

"Don't act like that. You know that deep down you love him too." Huiyin snaps her fan shut and raises Heisuke's chin with is, smiling ominously.

"Hmm~ we will see about that." She hums and turns away, walking back into the tea house. Heisuke watches her leave and blushes, running his fingers through his short hair. As he mumbles to himself,

"Why does she have to be so hot and domineering?"