chapter 1.

Jimin pov:

I stood at the doorway watching her. I don't like kids. I don't dislike them either, they simply don't exist in my day-to-day life so I don't really think about them much. But, something about the little girl that was compelling. She was talking to a woman who was clearly her mother. They could have been twins, separated by 20 years and a few hundred dollars' worth of tattoos. The woman was shaking her head "no" and the little girl was looking up at the acoustic guitar.

Walking over, I took it off the wall. "Hey, I'm Jimin. Did you wanna see the guitar?"

The woman smiled but shook her head again. "Oh, no, thank you. She's just ... Well, her uncle plays and she wants to. She, uh, gets excited."

"Honestly? It's more of a prop than anything else. She's welcome to fool around with it. Worst-case scenario, we'll re-string it."

"That's really kind, she'll be careful."

The girl was careful as she took it gently from my hands. Speaking over her shoulder, she addressed her mother. "Mom, I can talk for myself." She looked up at me. "Thanks! My uncle has electric guitars, but he said he'd teach me how to play one like this."

"That's great. Have you started yet?"

"No, he's sort of busy."

I smiled down at her. "I'm sure he'll find the time." I looked around and they were still setting up so we had some time. "Wanna try something real quick?"

She nodded her head. C Major was probably too difficult for her small hands, so I wracked my brain for something that would be workable for her. Maybe some simple open chords to shift up and down? We could just use three strings instead of all six and she'd at least get a feel for playing.

"Mister?"

I smiled. "Sorry. I was lost there for a second just thinking. You know 'Happy Birthday', right? Why don't we give that a try? Three chords should be doable and people have birthdays all the time, right?"

We worked through it as people around us set up the studio to help look like a precise, arranged photo was actually impromptu. They worked and left us alone and I enjoyed the joy in her eyes when she mastered something. Her mother looked both happy and concerned.

"Are we in their way? I don't want to get anyone in trouble."

Her mouth twitched a bit, her worried tone kind of endearing.

"Nah, it's fine."

"You work with these people?"

"Sort of." I looked down at the little girl. "So, you know 'Shake it Off'? The Taylor Swift song? Wanna try that?"

We again only used the thinner three strings and she was soaking everything up like a sponge. Her smile was contagious and some of the studio employees and photographers' assistants would smile along or pat her on the head, which was sort of obnoxious. She was a kid, not a pet.

We got through the whole song once and was trying it a second time when the star of the show arrived. He was the rockstar of the moment and came in with the requisite rockstar attitude. He was ignoring some people while berating others and had a bottle of Jack in his hand with the 80's throwback leather jacket with no shirt.
The only thing that gave him any redemptive value is that he dropped everything when he saw the little girl.