CHAPTER 4.

________________________
_________________

Em pov :

“Listen, Ms...”

“Em. Just Em is fine.”

“Ms M, unless you have an appointment—”

“No, Em. E-M. No Ms. Just Em.”

Mike’s beard almost twitched with a surly annoyance and whatever modicum of politeness he’d managed to muster fell.

“Listen, lady. I know you were here yesterday, but people don’t walk in here and demand to see Jimin without some sort of...”

I waited for the rest of the sentence, but his eyes had left my face and were staring somewhat behind me. I followed his gaze to see Leia had finally walked up hauling her case of Girl Scout cookies.

“Isn’t that a little heavy for you?” he asked.

“She insisted,” I muttered. Leia could be as stubborn as they came sometimes and had insisted on hauling the case of cookies by herself from the trunk of the car.

“It won’t be if you buy some Girl Scout cookies from me, Mister.”

Mike’s beard twitched again. His lips pursed slightly. Then he smiled, noticed that I saw him smiling, and the surly annoyance returned to his face.

“Why’d you need to see Jimin again?”

“When we were here yesterday, he was ... teaching her. And you said he gave her the guitar.”

He nodded, then shook his head.

“That means this is Namjoon's niece. He’s been banned.”

“So her uncle was a dick and that means we’re banned, too?”

“I wanna be in a band!” Leia gasped. “Mom, can I be in a band?”

“No, banned as in not welcome here,” he said.

I watched the moment Leia wrapped him around her little finger. Her shoulders drooped just slightly, her lower lip curled beneath her teeth, and she made the tiniest sniffling sound before he caved completely.

Of course you’re welcome here,” he grumbled. “C’mon in. Let me grab that case, kid.”

I tried not to laugh. Leia’s reaction had been completely genuine. She had no idea that most people would do anything just to see her smile. One glance of her big, innocent eyes could melt even the coldest of hearts. My life was going to be hell the day she figured out how easily she could manipulate people.

We followed Mike through the studio. When we got to the office area, he pounded on a closed door.

“Jimin. You got a drop-in.”

He looked at Leia and jerked his head to the other door.

“Got your money in here, kid. Let’s see how many boxes I can afford.”

“ ... the fuck you talking about, a drop-in?” floated through the door as it opened. Jimin was frowning, but it changed to an expression of confusion as he saw me.

“Uh...”

“Hi. We met yesterday, sort of.”

“Yeah.” He stared at me. “The kid I was teaching.”

“That’s my daughter. Leia. She, um ... well, I wanted to say thank you, you know, for showing her how to play, and more importantly giving her the guitar. I’ve never heard ‘Happy Birthday’ so many times in my life.”