CHAPTER 14.

Ember pov:

" ... barefoot on the grass, listening to our favorite ... favorite song ... when you said you looked..."

"Baylee, I told you I don't know this one good enough yet."

"My singing will help you learn it better!"

"But you go too fast!"

"That's how fast the song is!"

"Girls." Kelsie's voice was tired.

The girls glanced up to the balcony from the lawn where they were sitting, looking guilty. Pepper got up and bounded across the yard, likely thankful to be released from his role in the audience. I raised my eyebrow at Leia. The squabbling ceased and she started playing the song again.

"As if I didn't hear enough Ed Sheeran on the fucking radio," I muttered.

"Okay, so let me just get the whole thing straight," Kelsie continued, soft enough that the girls couldn't hear us. "So I went through all that effort of getting you two alone and conveniently scheduling an impromptu sleepover so you two could hook up, and he just fucking left?"

I nodded and took another sip of beer.

"And then he tells you he's an alcoholic with self-loathing issues, he admits to you that he wrote those articles, which like, I still can't fucking believe he wouldn't take that secret to the grave because oh my God, and he's sorry but not entirely sorry because Namjoon's doing good now?"

Nod. Sip of beer.

"And then he asks you to consider giving him a second chance?"

Nod. Beer.

"And you ... you're actually, legitimately ... considering it."

"Well..."

"You're actually fucking insane, did you know that? Em, you're insane."

I sighed and finished my beer, placing the bottle firmly on the patio table with a loud clunk.

"Was the sex actually that good?"

"That's not what this is about."

"I can't believe you're considering it."

"I don't know what to do. I really like ... liked him. And like, maybe I could've forgiven the, you know, hit-it-and-quit-it thing he pulled ... but he hurt Namjoon, Kels."

"You just fucking said it," she pointed out. "You could have forgiven it. But you can't forgive him for hurting Namjoon."

"It's not that simple, though. He ... he's also tried to help Namjoon. He feels bad."

"Oh, he feels bad," mocked Kelsie.

"Come on, I need your help, not your sarcasm."

"Does the judge let a robber go because he feels bad about holding up a liquor store?"

"What if the robber's already punishing himself over it and is also, like, giving the liquor store owner a bunch of money and helping it be a better liquor store?"

Kelsie folded her arms.

"So you want to forgive him."

"No, I ... I don't know. It's complicated."

"No, it's simple. Look me in the eyes, right now." She stared back at me, face incredibly serious. "Pretend I'm Namjoon."

"This is stupid." Pepper whined from beside me suddenly and I shushed him.

"Look me in the eyes and tell me the whole thing. Seriously. If you can't tell Namjoon, how the fuck are you going to make this work?"

"You're ... not mad." The words came out flat, almost monotone with disbelief.