CHAPTER 6.

Em pov:

“ ... hey soul sis ... soul sister...”

A sharp twang.

“Ain’t that Mr. Mister on the ... radio, stereo...”

Another twanging sound, followed by a whimper from Pepper, who was their literal captive audience.

“You’re not very good at that yet.”

“I still have to practice, Baylee! I’m learning!”

“Let me try!”

“No, it’s my guitar!”

“Girls,” Kelsie called from the kitchen. She made no move to stand up. “No fighting.”

“But Mom...”

“Maybe I need to come over there and take the guitar away, Leia.” I also didn’t make a move to stand up.

It wasn’t needed. The voices hushed and Leia started strumming the guitar again.

“I’ll play, you sing, just not so fast, okay?”

“I was kind of hoping I had to take the guitar away for five minutes,” I whispered. “Just five minutes.”

Kelsie snorted and ate a handful of popcorn.

“The lessons aren’t going well?”

“They’re going great. Jimin says she’s learning really fast.” I rubbed my eyes. “I guess I should just be grateful she’s graduated from ‘Happy Birthday’.”

“You okay? You seem...”

"Just tired. I’ve booked a couple extra clients to offset the costs. He’s giving me a deal on the lessons but she’s still going to need strings and shit.”

“The fun kind of clients or... ?”

I snorted. “No. Although I almost outed Patricia’s husband to her during their session.”

“Patricia, like Hayden’s mom? From the girl’s class?”

“Yep.”

“Oh my God, you didn’t.”

“What else was I supposed to do? I’m trying to set up the perfect family photo and he keeps going ‘are you sure I don’t know you from somewhere? You just look so familiar, you know?’”

“And you said... ?”

“Well, I was nice enough to him the first couple times. Polite laugh, just have one of those faces, you know. And of course he goes, ‘I feel like I’d remember your face though. I mean you have all those tattoos.’ And that’s usually when people figure out ... you know.”

Kelsie laughed, though not unkindly.

“You could just say you used to model, you know.”

“The last time I tried that, the guy’s wife figured out real quick what kind of ‘modeling’ I did.”

She made a soft noise of concession and I sighed.

“It’s not that I’m embarrassed, I just—”

“I get it, don’t worry.”

“I mean I am a little embarrassed.”

“It’s literally no different than the boudoir photos you do. You’re just on the other side of the camera now.”

“I’d say there’s a pretty big difference between boudoir photos and dudes jacking off to alt-girls online.”

Kelsie snorted again and threw a piece of popcorn at me.